• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Looking for property in Jackson County.

funkytechmonkey

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
68   0
Reaction score
Let me start with... This is not a WTB thread. I started this thread to talk to some of you guys that currently own hunting property or have purchased land to build a house on.

My wife and I just sold our house of 12 years. We have two kids 7-5 and of course I am a big hunter, deer, hog, quail, turkey.... So, we have started looking for some property around Jackson Co. Mainly because of the great schools and both of us would be around 30 min from work (traffic pending).

I want to purchase enough land where I can build a nice "forever house", and I would like to be able to walk in my back yard to site my guns in, hunt, and not have to worry about someone complain about it. We've already looked at a few lots from 15-30 acres. But most of the ones I've seen are sold REALLY FAST, too close to I-85, or they are bordering a subdivision.

I need some help or advice....

Where should I be looking?
Is 15 acres enough land to hunt? I've hunted on smaller with a bow. I think I'm having a hard time picturing the size of 15+ acres.
I would love for the property to have a water source. (pond, running stream)
Are there any realtors out there that specialize in this? My current realtor is clueless and keeps sending us junk.

My biggest question is how do you guys find land to purchase that someone is willing to lease you additional acreage for hunting or farming.

I grew up in a family with multiple hunting/lease properties in south ga. 1200+ acres, 2400 acres and a few other smaller plots of land. But this was all purchased by my grandfather and great grandfather many many years ago. I'm very familiar with keeping up the land, maintaining the ponds, maintain the firebreaks for yearly burns, and timber. After living in the city for over 10 years its time for me to venture out and do this just like my father and fathers before him. I just dont know where to start.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Jackson County is a nice place to live and the schools are really good.

You can hunt on 15 acres, until the people next to you subdivide the property, and start building the standard row houses. With that size acreage your are at the mercy of the adjoining land owners. My personal minimum would be 30-50 acres.

Anything with a "water feature" is going to be pricey.

There is still some reasonably priced land along the Oconee River. Finding a real estate agent is tough - they DO want to focus on the subdivisons because of the quick turnover.

I would be looking at Jefferson River Road, which more or less parallels HWY 129 into Jefferson.

I live in Arcade and hear (maybe take part in...) Guns being shot on a pretty regular basis, but they may start to enforce the no shooting in City limits if some of the new subdivisions come to fruition. Stay to the South and outside any City and you should be good. Avoid Braselton, and Pendergrass, or anything near Traditions.

Back
Top Bottom