Looking for a mechanic for an engine rebuild

Txcruiser

Default rank <500 posts Supporter
Survivalist
50   0
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good shop in the Cobb area (Smyrna / Marietta / Kennesaw) that can do an engine rebuild on a '05 Wrangler 4.0? I would like someone that kind of specializes in Jeeps even thought the I6 is pretty simple. I'm not looking to stroke it or anything like that, just a good rebuild or maybe even a replace. I've done a engine rebuild but I don't have the space or time to mess with this one. I figured the ODT brethren would be a good place to start to find a trustworthy mechanic. Thanks!

a rebuild is nice if you do it right. however a short block with a light cam to me is better. a lot of times you will save money on a short block because you do not have to have it mic'd or the crank turned or rods turned, it is all already done. I have 200k+ on my 4.0, still going strong other than the normal 4.0 ticking.

Thanks for the replies. The current engine is not dead, just high mileage. It has a rear main seal leaking (has for a while, don't they all) and it has started to get a little worse. Also noticed the valve cover gasket may need to be replaced and the engine has a little knock to it. I have also noticed it does not seem to be developing the same power, especially at acceleration from a light, it feels like it bogs down around 40mph or so. It recently started to throw a bank 1 sensor 1 code. Replaced the sensor and it ran fine for a week, then code came back. This past winter I started to smell a "coolant" type smell with the heater on (sometimes the air as well). I keep an eye on the oil and coolant levels and never see one mixed with the other, but I am wondering if the head gasket may have a small leak somewhere. I know not all of these things are going to be fixed by an engine swap but it's one of the things I would like to do to it within the next few months.

Our 4.0 rattled bad at startup. Sounded like it was gonna launch a piston thru the hood

But once the oil pressure built it it was quiet
Drove it like that for years
And yes we did replace the rear main
It blew on a long trip. Stopped for gas and noticed the entire back glass covered in oil

Then noticed oil dripping from the entire underneath
Was almost empty. Blew out three or four quarts

And it will be way cheaper to find a good used engine and swap it In

But only get one you can hear run and do a compression test before you buy

Never buy the "ran great before we pulled it out " engines

Back
Top Bottom