• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Looking for a job in car sales.

Brian1

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
2   0
Reaction score
Hello everyone! :) I was trained at the beginning of the year in product knowledge for Chevrolet, GMC and Buick. I was with a company for 3 months (first month was all training) but during the 2 months that I was on the floor I sold 24 cars. I am currently looking for a new job in the same field so if any of you out there has some connections or info please let me know. Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone out there on the hunt for a new job!

It sounds like you were doing really well. Why did you quit? As someone who knows nothing about car sales, what does a salesman make on average for selling a vehicle?

I hear its pretty bad. Enough that if you slip the average car salesman $500 cash, they will take off thousands off the price since they would likely only make $200 on it anyways.

It sounds like you were doing really well. Why did you quit? As someone who knows nothing about car sales, what does a salesman make on average for selling a vehicle?
Most places push used cars now because that's where the money is. I've hired several former new car salesman over the last few years who were getting out because the money has sucked so bad.
I hear its pretty bad. Enough that if you slip the average car salesman $500 cash, they will take off thousands off the price since they would likely only make $200 on it anyways.
Kinda like getting HBO from the cable guy back in the day.

Either way, if you're good at what you do and you make yourself an indispensable employee you'll do well.

Most places push used cars now because that's where the money is. I've hired several former new car salesman over the last few years who were getting out because the money has sucked so bad.
Kinda like getting HBO from the cable guy back in the day.

Either way, if you're good at what you do and you make yourself an indispensable employee you'll do well.

That makes sense. There is enough information out there that margins are probably pretty small on new purchases. I've shopped them all over email to get the cheapest price. It's kind of a pain, but works well with no pressure.

I didn't quit. The new GM let 8 people go and replaced them with his buddies from the dealership he was leaving. I wasn't going to tell anyone that because it sounds shady if you don't know how car dealerships operate with the sales reps but it happens all the time in car sales. Either I was just an easy target being a newbie or he truly felt I wasn't good enough. Even though I got along with everyone and the man that hired me refused to fire me, it didn't change a thing but oh well it happens. All we can do is dust off and move along. I'm not upset and there is no bad blood. I'm just eager to get to work. Now for another subject, the stigma of being a car salesman is the first hurdle to jump over. You do not want to be dishonest with someone. I never was and never had that problem. I will not lie and I did not see anyone else lying. Maybe giving false information because they really thought that was the truth. You make more profit when people buy accessories. Slipping a salesman money for a discount? No! As far as 200$ flat profit yes that is true! I spent 5 hours with 1 person multiple times to only make 200$ but that is the business (at least I sold) and I don't mind. That usually happens when you do not present the product properly and they feel they should get some insane discount. I made most money off used cars. The most I made off a deal was around 1400. That's not 1400 from the customers pocket! It was sales percentage from other companies that installed accessories the customer purchased through me. I had to make 2,000 for the company before I got paid anything over that for the month. It's called breaking the draw. The profit can range drastically but should almost always be good if you do the job right and honest. Before I sold cars I tested emissions. I got sick of being broke so I finally found something profitable AND enjoyable. Now I just need back in the door somewhere so I can knock it out of the park! Just keep in mind. Most of what people tell you about car salesman is false. They can and WILL at times come across as pushy but that's because they are letting it get to them and feeling the stress thus forgetting how to maintain a friendly, relaxed and enjoyable presence around strangers that automatically think you are trying to steal from them. It's easy to pierce through most peoples perceptions with a firm hand shake, bright smile and friendly tone. It's easy peasy. Just hard to get in the door never guaranteed haha.

Hello everyone! :) I was trained at the beginning of the year in product knowledge for Chevrolet, GMC and Buick. I was with a company for 3 months (first month was all training) but during the 2 months that I was on the floor I sold 24 cars. I am currently looking for a new job in the same field so if any of you out there has some connections or info please let me know. Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone out there on the hunt for a new job!

Well, if you actually do have "product knowledge", you obviously are NOT a good fit for car sales. Every car sales slug I've ever dealt with has ZERO product knowledge. All they are interested in selling is extended warranties and the cookies in the customer lounge, and can't tell me one useful feature about the uniqueness of each of their vehicles.

But hey, good luck with your search.

When I read the part about the new GM bringing his own people with him I was not surprised at ALL! Many times when a manager knows he's laeving for another lot and a sweeter pay plan he will sort of invite a handful of his known closers to go with him. And sometimes you have a crooked manager that just wants other crooks to help him keep scamming and cover the tracks.
Since 95 I've worked for a Toyota lot, Pontiac \GMC\Caddy, Kia, Mitsubishi, Hyundai and two Ford lots. Every time it was a little bit worse and the money was definitely worse. I hate new lots and will never work for another one. At a new lot you can work with one guy ALL DAY to make two bills on moving a new unit and then that jerk off can go **** you good on the customer survey and your bonus is shot. On top of that you have to sell a helluva lot of those new cars to make a living. Inflating balloons and tying them to cars at 8:00 in the morning and pulling handles on every car at 9:00 that night. All in dress clothes and painful shoes. So then you have just enough time to get home eat shower and hope your wife picked up your dry cleaning for you. The whole time your wife is telling you this job turns you into a bastard. But I digress.
If you really want to stay in the car bidness then find one more the bigger buy here lots and find out if you like their pay plan. To me a decent pay plan should be at least 25% of the gross up to whatever qualifies as over the monthly average. My theory is that if you have to dedicate that much of your time to it and people automatically hate you without even knowing you then you deserve all you can get.

Back
Top Bottom