• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Look out Prairie Dogs

Shovelhead

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
82   0
Reaction score
Most folks know I'm crazy for ground hog and prairie dog hunting along with feral hog hunts. But this platform is meant for those rascaly prairie dogs. I will be a resident of South Dakota real soon. I'm hoping to squeeze in a few hours of dog hunting while I'm looking for new digs. Still planning to be a snowbird between SD>PA>GA>TX>FL with legal residency in SD.

I had to have the rails system custom made by Steve Earle in Yankee land. I wanted to mount the Unertl Ultra Varmint scope on my Savage 12BVSS but the bases werent available and even if they were a barrel drill and tap job would have been required. Working with Steve he made a one piece rail to accommodate the 9.2" space between mounting gimbals with a few inch extension over the Savage barrel nut.

I only had access to a 100 yard range and the 22-250 performed as expected. Velocities were 3895-3960 FPS using 50 grain Barnes Varmint Grenade over 39.5 grains of H414. One big hole about 3/8" diameter with 10 shots.

i61.tinypic.com_sfb95z.jpg

Nice looking rig SH if you ever find more than you can shoot PM me I have a heavy barrel 220 swift that's shoots way better than I can,, I shot a couple ground hogs at 350 + so far this year

Back
Top Bottom