• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Lets Talk 327 FEDERAL MAGNUM

chaostat

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
258   0
Reaction score
I have been intrigued by this cartridge since it was announced, but i have yet to bite the bullet- so to speak. The ballistics table looks good and the cartridge turns a J-Frame from a 5 shot to a 6 Shot.

It is a rare round- i get that. anyone own one? how does it shoot?

Ballistic performance
Bullet weight/type
Velocity Energy
100 gr (6 g) JHP 1,400 ft/s (430 m/s) 435 ft·lbf (590 J)
115 gr (7 g) JHP 1,300 ft/s (400 m/s) 431 ft·lbf (584 J)
100 gr (6 g) JHP* 1,874 ft/s (571 m/s) 780 ft·lbf (1,060 J)
115 gr (7 g) JHP* 1,659 ft/s (506 m/s) 702 ft·lbf (952 J)
Test barrel length: 3 1/16", * 5½" Blackhawk Revolver
Source(s): Outdoor Writers[1] * Ballistics by the inch [2]

Not too long after the cartridge was introduced, I bought a Taurus small frame, in 327. I felt that it was a sound theory, getting 500 ft lbs out of a 32 caliber projectile. I really wish that I had bought the Ruger, instead of the Taurus, but we live and we learn. I don't know if it was the Taurus or the cartridge itself, but I had trouble the first time that I went to the range with my 327. I had two different types of ammo. I had some Federal low recoil JHP's and some American Eagle (which I believe is made by Federal) JSP's, and the American Eagle was the stout stuff. The low recoil shot just as I expected it too, snappy but far easier to control than 357. Then, when I shot the American Eagle which was a 100gr soft point @ 1500 fps, I very much liked the power in that little 32 cartridge, but when I went to reload to shoot some more, I found that the cases were stuck in the cylinder chambers. I got something other than metal and smacked on the ejector rod to get the cases out and, of course, I shot a few more cylinders to make sure of what I was seeing. Without researching the issue, I decided that It was because I had the Taurus instead of the Ruger, but I will never know because I just simply got rid of the Taurus.

At that time, it was very easy to buy an eight shot Blackhawk, in 327 Federal Magnum, and I will always regret not having bought one.

I think the marketing for this cartridge was a failure and killed it, or at least maimed it really bad. .357 Magnum is a powerhouse that's been around a long time in the minds of most folks. Trying to sell a smaller, lighter bullet that supposedly equals the performance of the .357 and then massaging the data to support the claim didn't work well.

On the other hand, I think it would make a dandy woods, survival, kit, or general purpose gun, especially with a 3-4" barrel. I don't mean to say the cartridge isn't capable of doing damage to bad folks (or good for that matter) when used for self defense, just that it's not the equal of the .357 Mag.

If I remember my research, the 327 mag has potential way beyond what it is being loaded to. I would really love to see somebody chamber it for a levergun and then see someone like Underwood ammo load some really hot. Or, maybe I'll just finally get me some loading equipment and see how far I can push the cartridge.

But, I have to keep reminding myself that this cartridge was designed for a 5.5" revolver and a snub nose revolver, not necessarily anything else.

If I remember my research, the 327 mag has potential way beyond what it is being loaded to. I would really love to see somebody chamber it for a levergun and then see someone like Underwood ammo load some really hot. Or, maybe I'll just finally get me some loading equipment and see how far I can push the cartridge.

But, I have to keep reminding myself that this cartridge was designed for a 5.5" revolver and a snub nose revolver, not necessarily anything else.

Buffalo bore loads for the 327. https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=285

1450 fps—USFA Sparrow Hawk, 7.5 inch barrel
1391 fps—Ruger Black Hawk, 5.5 inch barrel
1291 fps—Ruger SP101, 3 inch barrel

If I remember my research, the 327 mag has potential way beyond what it is being loaded to. I would really love to see somebody chamber it for a levergun and then see someone like Underwood ammo load some really hot.
That applies to most every magnum cartridge in production today.

I'd dearly love to see a .327 mag lever action as well.

Back
Top Bottom