• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

let's talk .22 ammo

Really? Wow, that's too bad. I love the stuff - it shoots the smallest groups in both my Cooper and built 10/22. It did great in my CZ 453, too, before I sold it. Too bad it's so pricey, though. I've found it for as little as $45/500, but $50 to $55 is more typical.

CCI SV (standard velocity) shoots very well for me, too, at a more reasonable price.

Blazer is pretty good, and just a bit more expensive than most bulk.

I use Fed AutoMatch in my pistols when I can find it, but then again I'm not shooting so much for the last bit of accuracy - I've got a long way to go shooting a pistol off-hand before the ammo matters that much.

I've also got a few bricks left of PMC Zapper that's great, but good luck finding that. I think it's been off the market for a few years.

ETA: I've found that I have to shoot 10 to 25 rounds before the barrel 'seasons' to a particular ammo before the good groups start showing up. When I'm testing ammo I make sure to shoot a full box, and really only look at the last groups to see the full potential.

Thanks for all the info. I'm going to try this Wolf again tomorrow. I'll be sure to get some pics. I only wish I could shoot my 7 or 30-06 like I can my .22. It's fun cutting out the bullseye :lol:

CCI Standard Velocity for blasting ammo or I use it to sight in my rifles.

Wolf Match Extra or Wolf Match Target when I'm shooting for groups. The Wolf stuff is the best target ammo for the money. I bought a box of Eley Tenex but at $16/50 rounds the marginal improvement in group size does not correlate with cost.

For my squirrel hunting I like CCI CB longs. I can't see much past 30-40 yards where I hunt them and the best part is they are quiet, which means multiple squirrels for me. Its what my favorite .22 is sighted for. I'm not sure on the groupings but it always gets them out of the trees, although sometimes I have to finish them off on the ground, but I would write that off as my fault.

No luck with the Wolf today. I managed to get about 6 rounds out and that was it. The Marlin hates the stuff. Eject, cycling...it ain't having it. However from what I did get out of it- they grouped pretty good. I gave the remaining 40 something rounds away and I'll stick with my Federal Gold Medal. When I get a bolt .22, I'll try again with the Wolf. I'd like to find some of the Gold Medal Match and Super Match, to see what it can do, but for now the Gold Medal suffices and my gun likes it.
i29.photobucket.com_albums_c263_cobrar18s_22groups003.jpg

i29.photobucket.com_albums_c263_cobrar18s_22groups002.jpg

i29.photobucket.com_albums_c263_cobrar18s_22groups004.jpg

Don't mind the crazy holes, there was some scope adjusting going on too. Oh yeah, done with a Tasco :lol:

Last edited:
My old Model 60 tears up a target with CCI Mini-Mags. No cycling problems whatsoever. Now...I'm tuning in since I would LOVE to find a reliable ammo for my Beretta so I can shoot a steel match every once in a while.

My old Model 60 tears up a target with CCI Mini-Mags. No cycling problems whatsoever. Now...I'm tuning in since I would LOVE to find a reliable ammo for my Beretta so I can shoot a steel match every once in a while.

Aguila Super Max and Interceptor work great in pistols. They are screaming too! I just wished they grouped well enough for a rifle

CCI .22LR Standard Velocity Ammunition (#0035)

In the 500 round paper packs: $32.95 per "brick"

This stuff shoots as good as Wolf ................ almost. But it is dang good.

Back
Top Bottom