let some gentlemen know i was carrying.

And one more thought if it hasn't been mentioned... in an encounter like this one you had better be the first one to call 911 & give your version of what happened because if you don't, how do you think it would go for you if the other party called first & said, "We argued with this guy & he pulled a gun on us & here is his tag number."
Then after law enforcement does a felony stop on you, as you're handcuffed, they ask you, "Did you pull a gun on someone?"

What are you going to say,"I was trying to scare them." ?

I don't claim to have an answer for everything & every situation but if there is one thing I've learned in life is that if you can't be smart yourself, surround yourself with smart people & read all you can from people who are EXPERTS to learn from them.

I don't know of ONE law enforcement agency or experienced high level tactics instructor who advocates "showing your gun" as a deterrent... I'm not saying that they don't, just that I have never heard of it... ever.
If someone can find an example of one who does I would genuinely like to check the source as to their logic to possibly modify my opinion.
Most experts that I know will tell you not to give up your tactical advantage & show OR draw you're weapon unless you or your families lives are in danger.

With an experienced Qualified, Certified Instructor who can instruct you in how to build your fundamental skills using proven efficient techniques... and I don't just mean my school. There are plenty of other good ones out there.

Too many people spend all their time looking at their "tools" when they should be learning how to get the job done.
We're covered up with people in our school, including men that have never even shot a gun, who will be more mentally as well as physically trained to use the gun (if they have no other choice) than many that are self-taught who have not invested the time & money to seek out professional help somewhere.

It's only you & your families live's at stake... if you carry a gun for self-defense, GO SOMEWHERE & get some instruction from an expert. No man is born with the skills to use a firearm... you have to be taught like any other skill.
Too many people are too proud to admit that they don't already know everything about guns & tactics.
The best instructors I know are constantly seeking out more training to keep learning & getting better.
If one day you have to use a gun for real, that is no time to "wing" it.
You will have one chance & probably very little time to get it right unless you're real lucky.
And if you're not lucky or don't REALLY know & understand the Use of Deadly Force & Carry laws, at minimum you may go to jail but at worst you or your family could be killed.

Got it more than covered, amigo. Close friends with an experienced, qualified and certified instruction who just happens to love revolvers as much as I do. I am well trained (ok, not like military or LEO trained...but better than most 'normal' people) and very well practiced...and very comfortable with my weapon(s) of choice.

But you are right...training and practice will make or break a person's ability to protect themselves when they have to do so.

My opinion is this and this is my final stance. Pulling up the shirt was useless. If you felt your life was being threatened, the weapon should have been drawn.

CCW is spot on here guys. My personal mantra - no one knows i have a weapon unless i'm ready to use it. I've carried for 18 or 19 years...i only drew my weapon on someone once - and it was 18 years ago when I came across someone in my home. Even then I did no discharge the weapon and the perp was dealt with accordingly.

I was not there and don't know the EXACT words or actions....it might have been justified, might not....don't know. I would just leave you with this. You do not have to hold or shake a pistol around to be hit with a brandishing charge guys.

Got it more than covered, amigo. Close friends with an experienced, qualified and certified instruction who just happens to love revolvers as much as I do. I am well trained (ok, not like military or LEO trained...but better than most 'normal' people) and very well practiced...and very comfortable with my weapon(s) of choice.

But you are right...training and practice will make or break a person's ability to protect themselves when they have to do so.

Good deal, then by all means, keep doing it & get as much training as you can from as many places as possible.

The best schools/ instructors will tell you don't just listen to them but to broaden your knowledge base by going to other credible sources.

And if you don't already, make your buddies go with you... you may have to back each other up one day.

For almost 20 years I drug several of my friends to schools I attended cause I was more afraid of them behind me with a gun than a B.G. with one in front of me!

Just as Protectivemeasures said. How many Law Enforcement agencys and Military bases have you ever heard of that has or utilizes "draw mirrors" ?

Sidenote: If you practice that way, uhhh... make SURE that you have cleared your weapon ( then make sure again), about 10-12 years ago there was a guy at a one of the schools out west who was practicing his draw sequence & shot through the mirror on the hotel door & killed his friend who was there with him.

Sidenote: If you practice that way, uhhh... make SURE that you have cleared your weapon ( then make sure again), about 10-12 years ago there was a guy at a one of the schools out west who was practicing his draw sequence & shot through the mirror on the hotel door & killed his friend who was there with him.

Or invest in a blue gun :)

Even if the "thugs" called the cops and try to get him with a charge, the cameras would show where he was in the store and if need be he could take a lie detector test and pass. I think he did the right thing.
He had no where to retreat to, its two on 1, and these guys could have had knives on them. What other option did he have? He tried to tell them to leave and he had been getting groceries, they didn't care, they would more than likely have robbed and beat him if he hadn't shown his weapon.
Y'all keep saying "i won't show mine till im gonna use it blah blah blah" well if it was you in this situation then there would be two dead guys in the parking lot and you would have some serious splaining to do. If they were unarmed then you go to jail. You can't say you felt threatened because their dead and you have a gun, looks like a double murder to me.
He can't retreat so cross that off, He tried to explain to them and they wouldn't listen so cross that off as well, He is out manned so if they do attack he wouldn't have a chance to get his gun. The guy did what he had to do and it worked out good so why bash his actions?

Back
Top Bottom