• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Lessons learned from last weeks tornadoes

This storm ws brutal for us. It took seven hours to get home Thursday. I realized I need to add a much bigger flashlight and a phone charger to the truck and add a packable raincoat to the truck bag. A chainsaw in the truck would have been helpful, but not practical.
I bought a 'cheaper' cordless chainsaw to keep in my truck. There have been several times riding FS roads an a tree be laying on it. Beats axing the thing when im trying to spend time 🎣:fish2:

Note on using Propane- Get a bottle blanket or wrap the cylinder, it will freeze up on you if you don't. Frustrating to say the least when there is a half a tank left, but the cylinder is frozen up.

I built a shed (looks like a pump
house) near my service panel to put my generator into so I wouldn’t have to drag it from the garage and across the gravel driveway and steep parts of the yard. Dragging that monster through gravel in the cold, dark, wind and rain, even with the wheels, is enough to take all the fight out of a man. I run it every other month and keep stabilized gas in it. I’ve had it almost three years and it starts on the first or second pull every time. (Knocking on wood)

What all do the lamps burn?
Readily available lamp oil which you can pick up at wally world or almost any grocery store, kerosene works but it's smelly and smokey, olive first and then household cooking oils but those tend to be the more expensive options but will do in an emergency.
And if you can catch one the centuries old stand by...whale oil.

Note on using Propane- Get a bottle blanket or wrap the cylinder, it will freeze up on you if you don't. Frustrating to say the least when there is a half a tank left, but the cylinder is frozen up.
My house is propane for stove and fireplace logs. I had gas company run a propane line stubbed out and ready for my gen quick disconnect line. Will pull from the main propane tank and use the cylinders as backup.

I built a shed (looks like a pump
house) near my service panel to put my generator into so I wouldn’t have to drag it from the garage and across the gravel driveway and steep parts of the yard. Dragging that monster through gravel in the cold, dark, wind and rain, even with the wheels, is enough to take all the fight out of a man. I run it every other month and keep stabilized gas in it. I’ve had it almost three years and it starts on the first or second pull every time. (Knocking on wood)
A few years ago I had to work late. It had been snowing hard and my wife got home before I did. The power was out. She had to wait about 4hrs on me to get home. She was calling every few minutes giving me an update, annoying me. We had several inches of snow by the time I got home. I proceeded to get the generator outside in back of the house. I decided to go through the house instead of trying to go around the outside, steep and icy. So I pulled my 180lb generator up the stairs, through the house, out the back door and on the deck. Before I got everything ready to go, the power came back on. It's nice when the power is working.

What model did you find?
ego cs1604. bought off amazon but lowes has same.
It certainly is not my husky 61 nor the stihl311 but for ease of use I like it. I cut, limbed and bucked a 10 inch water oak and still on 1st charge. It came with the 5.0 amphour battery. Its so 'unintimidating' my wife asked if she could use it(and she actually likes it) no ear muffs and the chain stops as soon as you let go of the throttle.

Back
Top Bottom