• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Legality of cutting down a barrel

Not manufacturer, just if I put one together and later down the road I decide I don't want it. Would it be the same as some of the 10/22's that have been customized, then later sold?

Just don't go making any pistol uppers for sale without a license... I have nothing to prove that would be a problem, but my gut feeling sure doesn't like the idea.

Don't think you need any kind of license to make pistol AR uppers or any other AR uppers whether you make them to sell or for your self. The upper is not considered a firearm. I'd like to see some stats on the number of arrest and convictions that have occurred when someone has an AR lower with a stock and a pistol or sbr upper in their possession at the same time. Does anyone personally know anyone this has happened to?

Can you legally buy a factory pistol gripped mossberg 500 and shorten the barrel? Seems like that would be a "pistol" aswell. I've seen AOWs such as Serbu super shorty which is basically what Im talking about converting a 500 to. An AOW is only a $5 tax but still has the 6 month wait. But whats the difference between one of those Yugo PAP "pistol" AKs and a "sawed off" pistol gripped shotgun?

Can you legally buy a factory pistol gripped mossberg 500 and shorten the barrel? Seems like that would be a "pistol" aswell. I've seen AOWs such as Serbu super shorty which is basically what Im talking about converting a 500 to. An AOW is only a $5 tax but still has the 6 month wait. But whats the difference between one of those Yugo PAP "pistol" AKs and a "sawed off" pistol gripped shotgun?

Shotgun has a bore too large and unthreaded to be a pistol. It would still be a destructive device. While the tax stamp is only 5 dollars to transfer an AOW, it is still 200 dollars to manufacture an AOW.

My first "customized" upper I want to do will be a .22LR. Naturally it will be followed by a 5.56. I've been toying with some sketches of various designs in muzzle breaks and hand guards.

Back
Top Bottom