• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Legality of cutting down a barrel

77REBELBOWTIE

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
43   0
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been covered somewhere before, but I couldn't find it.

If I purchase a 16" barreled upper, can I cut the barrel down and place it on a pistol lower? I was thinking of building my own pistol uppers.

Yes. An upper is just parts and you can do whatever you want with it. Do not cut that barrel unless you either have a pistol lower, or do not have any lowers at all though.

I don't think stripped lowers would be an issue. But if you have a functional lower, do not have a short barrel upper around without a complete pistol lower. Seems that the ATF will interpret that to mean you plan on making a SBR, whether you do or not does not matter.

Alls a pistol lower is a "virgin" lower that NEVER had a stock on it. Which means if you have a stripped lower you'll be fine. Just make sure you don't have a stock laying around without a completed rifle. Then you can claim that stock is a spare part of the rifle. In reality if an ATF agent is at your house to begin with.. Expect to be in a lot of trouble anyway. Whether you fit any exceptions or not is irrelevant at that point.

It's not that easy........chopping a 16 inch down to anything shorter than about 10.5 is going to require you to drill a new gas hole and probably turn the barrel down in diameter for a gas block to properly fit.

Just don't go making any pistol uppers for sale without a license... I have nothing to prove that would be a problem, but my gut feeling sure doesn't like the idea.

The machining is major an issue. Just wanted to be sure there wouldn't be any legal issues. If I build it and decide I want something different, I should be able to sell it without a problem, correct?

The machining is major an issue. Just wanted to be sure there wouldn't be any legal issues. If I build it and decide I want something different, I should be able to sell it without a problem, correct?

Highly doubt it.....You have a home build upper......home built rifles don't sell well....

Back
Top Bottom