• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Legal rights when Camping

redfish414

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
322   0
Reaction score
I have a 29' camper that I camp on local lakes at either Corps. Campgrounds or County owned Camp grounds on Lake lanier....What are the laws pertaining to law enforcement and rights of myself pertaining to legal entry or search...I have a permit and always have a few fire arms in my camper although some parks prohibit such as well as alcohol ..Is my camper considered an extension of my home ?

..Is my camper considered an extension of my home ?

Definitely a "maybe". How much money do you want to spend to find out? Probably a minimum of $20K to find out.

First, somewhere in the fine print in the regs, or your agreement when you sign in is probably a waiver of any rights you have against the search for "contraband".

Secondly, despite about every tenth post here having someone state that "your vehicle is an extension of your home", which is not true, so it's also most likely that the trailer attached to your vehicle which is not an extension of your home is also not an extension of your home, i.e. search and seizure rules for things that can be moved are different than for things that can't be moved.

At the end if the day, figuratively and actually, you are camping on private property where you consent to their rules to use their facilities.

Weapons​

Bows and arrows, explosives, fireworks, slingshots, fishing spears or any device that discharges projectiles by any means is prohibited. Firearms must be unloaded, cased and stored, unless a person possesses a valid weapons-carry license for a firearm that is valid in Georgia. A person possessing a valid weapon-carry license to carry a firearm valid in this state may carry such firearm on Georgia State Parks and Historic Sites, except on sites where carrying such firearm is prohibited by federal law. Firearms except those that are unloaded, cased and stored are not permitted on sites that are leased, federal Army Corps of Engineers property, including:

• Red Top Mountain
  • Seminole
  • George T. Bagby
  • Don Carter
  • Florence Marina
  • Tugaloo
  • Hart
  • Bobby Brown
  • Richard B. Russell
  • Elijah Clark
  • Mistletoe

COE campgrounds do prohibit weapons, and alcohol for that matter, everyone has alkey, and most have guns, you just don't drink loudly or shoot at carp groveling in the shallows for a biskit. Search won't happen unless ya give em a pretty specific reason like handling guns outside the camper, passing a smoking smelling joint, or telling some busy body camper the wrong thing.
from COE site
  • Weapons – You are not allowed to bring weapons on COE land, nor are you allowed to bring ammunition. You are allowed, however, to possess an empty gun. The only exception to this is if you are on a COE target shooting range, or if you are hunting. (See CFR Title 36 § 327.8 Hunting, fishing, and trapping)
  • https://www.boondockersbible.com/do...for-boondocking/hunting-fishing-and-trapping/
  • § 327.13 Explosives, firearms, other weapons and fireworks.​

(a) The possession of loaded firearms, ammunition, loaded projectile firing devices, bows and arrows, crossbows, or other weapons is prohibited unless:

(1) In the possession of a Federal, state or local law enforcement officer;

(2) Being used for hunting or fishing as permitted under § 327.8, with devices being unloaded when transported to, from or between hunting and fishing sites;

(3) Being used at authorized shooting ranges; or

(4) Written permission has been received from the District Commander.

(b) Possession of explosives or explosive devices of any kind, including fireworks or other pyrotechnics, is prohibited unless written permission has been received from the District Commander.
  • https://www.boondockersbible.com/do...losives-firearms-other-weapons-and-fireworks/

COE campgrounds do prohibit weapons, and alcohol for that matter, everyone has alkey, and most have guns, you just don't drink loudly or shoot at carp groveling in the shallows for a biskit. Search won't happen unless ya give em a pretty specific reason like handling guns outside the camper, passing a smoking smelling joint, or telling some busy body camper the wrong thing.
from COE site
  • Weapons – You are not allowed to bring weapons on COE land, nor are you allowed to bring ammunition. You are allowed, however, to possess an empty gun. The only exception to this is if you are on a COE target shooting range, or if you are hunting. (See CFR Title 36 § 327.8 Hunting, fishing, and trapping)
  • https://www.boondockersbible.com/do...for-boondocking/hunting-fishing-and-trapping/
  • § 327.13 Explosives, firearms, other weapons and fireworks.​

(a) The possession of loaded firearms, ammunition, loaded projectile firing devices, bows and arrows, crossbows, or other weapons is prohibited unless:

(1) In the possession of a Federal, state or local law enforcement officer;

(2) Being used for hunting or fishing as permitted under § 327.8, with devices being unloaded when transported to, from or between hunting and fishing sites;

(3) Being used at authorized shooting ranges; or

(4) Written permission has been received from the District Commander.

(b) Possession of explosives or explosive devices of any kind, including fireworks or other pyrotechnics, is prohibited unless written permission has been received from the District Commander.
  • https://www.boondockersbible.com/do...losives-firearms-other-weapons-and-fireworks/
Problem is the situation can get real complex in a hurry. Say you have a cooler of beer out front, someone opens it, LEO sees it. You have just created probably cause for a search for contraband. stuff like that. Degree of risk you want to assume is up to you.

Definitely a "maybe". How much money do you want to spend to find out? Probably a minimum of $20K to find out.

First, somewhere in the fine print in the regs, or your agreement when you sign in is probably a waiver of any rights you have against the search for "contraband".

Secondly, despite about every tenth post here having someone state that "your vehicle is an extension of your home", which is not true, so it's also most likely that the trailer attached to your vehicle which is not an extension of your home is also not an extension of your home, i.e. search and seizure rules for things that can be moved are different than for things that can't be moved.

At the end if the day, figuratively and actually, you are camping on private property where you consent to their rules to use their facilities.
I Georgia I got pulled over and asked if there were any guns in the truck. It was my dad's truck I borrowed to move something. There was a 357 hog leg in the arm rest and I told him. He said " in this county your car is considered an extension to your home and that didn't matter" . That was on Wade Green Road. Do county or state law could supersede park rules. You will just have to read up about each location. Having a carry license could come into play.

He said " in this county your car is considered an extension to your home and that didn't matter" .
Based on the number of times it's said on ODT, that's what it is considered here, but again, another shining example of why you don't get legal advice from an LEO.

Bet if he'd smelled wacky backy, he wouldn't have said that.

You can get permission to carry on Corps land but you must request it. GCO sued in 2014 for this permission. See the following for more information and how to request permission.

This in no way constitutes legal advice or anything other than the information conveyed regarding GWL and Army Corps of Engineers property.

Back
Top Bottom