• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Large Volume Shotshell Hulls

For Remington STS or Winchester AA, count out 100 and put them into a ziploc bag.
Weigh the ziploc bag with a reloading scale that is accurate to the fraction of an oz.
You can then fill the next bag until the weight reaches that of the known 100 count bag without having to count the hulls individually :)

Best of luck in your new venture.

I will definitely call on some buddies in really sketchy parts of Atlanta to teach me their ways of weighing and packaging product.

Sketchy? LOL
Weighing product is the industry standard method of packaging most any small inexpensive product. Do you really think someone counts out 100 or 1000 bolts or washers into a box or bag that you purchase at home depot ?

Sketchy? LOL
Weighing product is the industry standard method of packaging most any small inexpensive product. Do you really think someone counts out 100 or 1000 bolts or washers into a box or bag that you purchase at home depot ?
AB458DE0-F481-446A-89E0-7E4A9A36868B.jpeg

There are companies in the UK who have machines which will shred the trash hulls and separate out the scrap steel from the plastic.
With the price of shredable steel in the US about $180/ton means the business case for a very expensive machine plus operating expenses leaves very little for the owner/operator :(

Now if you could invent something like below and figure out a way so that it uses less energy than the revenue from the finished product and figure out a way to process more than 120 hulls per hour then you are on your way. :cool:

I have several years experience in this area.

There is a market for ONCE FIRED AA and STS, some market for Gold Medals, a little market for paper hulls. Problem with range pickups is the ONCE FIRED part.

Most sporting ranges don't bother with the hulls because the labor to collect them and sort them costs more than the return. Some skeet and trap clubs do because they can pick them up with a machine, and pretty quickly sort them.

Most sporting clubs put them in the dumpster, if they can't get away with putting them in a burn barrel. The amount generated from a big shoot can be overwhelming. They consider it a favor if you take a trash bag home.

I have seen some almost knife fights break out behind a shooter who leaves .410 on the ground.

Also, have seen some near serious ass whoopings on shell hawks who swoop in and start picking up the good shells before the shooter has had an opportunity to do so.

Contrary to what you may read or hear, the discount Federal shells make really nice reloads for one or two times, and I used to bring targets boxes of them home. The plastic is real soft, and so the go through the loader easy and make a nice tight crimp.

Several decades ago, I had words with whoever was running Tom Lowe (wasn't even Tom Lowe then) who told me if MY shells hit the ground they belonged to the club. I disagreed.

For Remington STS or Winchester AA, count out 100 and put them into a ziploc bag.
Weigh the ziploc bag with a reloading scale that is accurate to the fraction of an oz.
You can then fill the next bag until the weight reaches that of the known 100 count bag without having to count the hulls individually :)

Best of luck in your new venture.
More accurate way is to weigh out 99, then use that as your tare, and add one more shell.

Same principle powder tricklers use.

Back
Top Bottom