• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Kydex AK mag carrier

blackplague14

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
48   0
Reaction score
A lot of you guys know that I make Kydex knife sheaths as a part time gig, but a fun aspect of the hobby is being able to make something that I want/need that I can't find anywhere else.

I use U.S. Palm mags in my AK. They fit great in a nylon carrier, but I wanted something compatible with my pistol belt.

I cut a half inch wide strip of plywood and taped it to the spine of the mag to provide a channel for the rear locking lug to slide thru. Taped a 1/8" thick by 2" wide piece of metal to the back of the mag for a flat spot for a Tek Lok to mount.

Here is the first one:

I had to heat up the top edge to flare it our by hand, so I taped a 1/8" piece of Kydex around the the magazine that I'm using as a mold. It makes for a better looking end product and makes it easier to insert the mag.

Here is the second one:

It rode around on my pistol belt, thrown in the floor board of the car yesterday, so over look the dirt.

Anyone interested in learning to work with Kydex should check out PhillyEDC channel on Youtube. He is pretty long-winded, but walks you step-by-step thru the process. https://www.youtube.com/results?sea...14.7.7.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.mdp3NW56mgM

Looks good.

I have watched PhillyEDC's stuff on youtube. I keep saying I am going to get into Kydex but I don't have anywhere to put the stuff. We are looking at a house with a workshop out back, if we get it I'm gonna have to buy some stuff.

Me too! I actually sold off all of my metal mags. The weight differences in a fully loaded chest rig is very noticeable, and I've had no failures of any kind with the Palm mags.

I'm interested to see Magpul's version of the AK mag.

yeah me too. They have their work cut out for them. I still love my metal mags along with my bakelite mags. I just abuse my us palm mags and they take it like a G.

Back
Top Bottom