• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Knights Armament SR15

bobbylee

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
105   0
Reaction score
I bought my first AR15 in 2007 when prices were like candy stories from old people, "I paid $250-$350 for my bushy, olympic, dpms, etc". She was a cmmg upper with a double star lower. Ran like a champ. Over the years, my collection of guns grow. In 2010, I decided to buy a top tier ar15. Something that had all the bells and whistles. Something like a colt 6940, noveske, lwrc, lmt, Daniels. Something that held their value, extremely tacticool but functional.
Like many a people think that kac is way over priced and extremely over rated but I decided to research them regardless. KAC was the first to have attachable light, the first to have forward grip, and what impressed me the MOST is that they were the last company Eugene Stoner work at. He designed the ar15 platform and wanted to tweek and fine tune the system. The more reviews I read, the more I wanted one. I did not know of anyone that had one so. I had to fork over some major coin to buy one and THEN see if i liked it or not. I gotten the upper on a trade. I mated to my ruger sr556 lower......LOVE at first shot. The recoil was very soft. I only shot carbine length gas systems and the ruger mid length piston system. It was very odd that this upper was sooo light.

Me being the person that I am wanted my Knights to a Knights lower. To my surprise there was one at Bullseye in Laweranceville for $750+tax. I sold some things and put the lower on layaway. 2 months later I had a matching complete kac sr15.

I thought that the cost of the sr15 and the value of all the options was fair. A complete sr15 retail is $2000-$2300 new. In the price is
-full length rail with integrated front sight
-an extra medium gas system (shorter than rifle, longer than medium)
-a redesigned bolt
-2 stage trigger
-a completely ambi controls lower
-lmt sopmod stock
-buis
-quick disconnect sling mounts
-cold hammer 16" bbl
-forward grip

I can shoot 1.5"-2" moa group in the prone. But she is more accurate than me. The 2 stage trigger is a first for me, but i got used to it very quickly (it might be the reason my groups are so well with it). The controls are very handy when ever i go shooting wit my buddy that is a south paw. He seem to like it too. Soft recoil. The softest ar I have ever shot. It is even softer with my AAC Brake-out brake.

The only grip is that this $2k gun came with a regular gi grip. I switched mine out with a magpul one. Other than that, it is my favorite rig!

Now the pics

kac_1.jpgkac_2.jpgkac_3.jpgkac_4.jpgkac_5.jpgkac_6.jpgkac_7.jpgkac_8.jpg

That is sweet. I really want one of their dimpled barrels. I am also looking at their new 762 suppressor. They are definitely top notch.

Very nice bobbylee! I've been a KAC fan for a long time and actually bought one of the very first commercially available SR15 E3 IWS rifles. Since then, I've owned a couple and it is still my favorite rifle. The combination of light weight, soft recoil and ready to run configuration makes it a real winner. Like you, I swapped out the grip and stock and added a T1. Of the three I've owned, they have all been accurate and reliable. I actually just sold off my Legacy E3 and ordered a Mod1 from Lawmens and Shooters Supply. Same rifle, different rail.
As you mentioned, alot of guys cringe at the price. However, when you add up the features, you would be close to even with a similarly equipped BCM or Daniel Defense. The feature that often goes unnoticed is the E3 bolt. KAC redesigned the bolt lugs and cam pin hole to produce a much stronger bolt design. To this day, I have never seen a report of a broken E3 bolt. The fact that KAC offers a 20K round warranty on the E3 bolt speaks directly to its strength and durability. Add in the ambidextrous lower receiver controls and you have a heck of a rifle.

Question, have you shot it with the T1 mounted that far forward? I run mine a little further back, even with the front of the upper receiver.

Very nice bobbylee! I've been a KAC fan for a long time and actually bought one of the very first commercially available SR15 E3 IWS rifles. Since then, I've owned a couple and it is still my favorite rifle. The combination of light weight, soft recoil and ready to run configuration makes it a real winner. Like you, I swapped out the grip and stock and added a T1. Of the three I've owned, they have all been accurate and reliable. I actually just sold off my Legacy E3 and ordered a Mod1 from Lawmens and Shooters Supply. Same rifle, different rail.
As you mentioned, alot of guys cringe at the price. However, when you add up the features, you would be close to even with a similarly equipped BCM or Daniel Defense. The feature that often goes unnoticed is the E3 bolt. KAC redesigned the bolt lugs and cam pin hole to produce a much stronger bolt design. To this day, I have never seen a report of a broken E3 bolt. The fact that KAC offers a 20K round warranty on the E3 bolt speaks directly to its strength and durability. Add in the ambidextrous lower receiver controls and you have a heck of a rifle.

Question, have you shot it with the T1 mounted that far forward? I run mine a little further back, even with the front of the upper receiver.

From the review and research I did, the e3 bolt has rounded edges which mean less stress. That plus the cam hole makes the designed makes this system a great buy. I mounted the t1 further out like all my red dot (ie aimpoint, eotech, c-more). I guess it was because the first red dot was for a ar15 that had a carry handle. Is it better closer? Its whatever you familiar with i guess.

Is your next build going to have the kac dimple barrel? Good luck finding one of their suppressor. Hard to find and pricey.

Yea it is looking like AAC it is. Not complaining at all though. As for the dimpled barrel, if I could find one for sale I may jump on it depending on price that is.

Back
Top Bottom