• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Judgmental Shooting, 2/7, Oconee County (only $25)

jlw

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
19   0
Reaction score
Shane Gosa and I are teaching a judgmental shooting class at an upcoming conference, and we want to do a test run of the course.

For those interested, we will teach the course at a private range in Oconee County on Saturday, February 7 at 10:30AM, and it will run for approximately three hours. The cost is $25.00, payable on the morning of the course, and you will need 50 rounds. Message me with your email address, I will be in touch with directions and details.

***For those not familiar with Shane, he's a fellow GALEFI board member and a POST instructor. His list of instructor certifications, experience, and training is extensive.

There is still time to get in on this. Also, Sparrow Defense is teaching a low light course on the same range when ours is complete. See his thread here in this section.

Thanks to all of those who came to the class (16 students). I'm going to publicly discuss where I think we need improvement.

1- setup. The setup of the targets delayed the start of the class, and of course, the reactive system didn't work. We are ditching the reactive system, at least as it was attempted on Saturday. The setup of the targets may still be an issue as we will not have the opportunity to get on the range ahead of time at the conference.

2- technique. We spent so much time on techniques that we never got into decision making and target discretion. This was in part due to the setup issue and in part due to the number of techniques being presented. We will be adjusting this.

3- discussion points. One student privately told me after the class that as a citizen, he wouldn't issue verbal commands in that if it was a situation that had reached a point for him to draw it would be to use force. This is one area where I think we could have a good class discussion. We also should have discussed the techniques for moving through a crowd in a more contextual way.

4- legal. Maybe this should be under item 3, but we didn't delve into the legal aspects of deadly force. Keeping in mind that the conference will be attended by people from numerous states and thus different laws, as this group were all GA residents, we could have and perhaps should have spent at least a few minutes on GA law.

Back
Top Bottom