• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Jet boats for small rivers

Coach

Default rank <500 posts Supporter
Survivalist
25   0
Reaction score
You guys are great for finding links to cool stuff.
Regardless of cost, what watercrafts are out there that could run the upper Flint. I've got canoes and kayaks, I mean power. Maybe something like a jet ski motor in a 14 foot jon boat. Retirement is coming and I need stuff to do.

Honda makes a jet motor, 40hp and up. Cousin ran one on the upper Broad river where it was shallow. 14’ flat bottom skiff and motor. Right over sand bars.

we've gone up a couple of small rivers in a jon boat. 14ft has been fine and generally havent had issues with a short shaft prop but a jet driven outboard would be better.

My dad ran a jet boat in the Allegheny river, and it was nothing to fly over the gravel bars in 6 inches of water. But the Flint from 36 to 18 are narrow rock sholes , you would need that instant power with out being on plane.

There are some on the Oconee River below Athens.

They do well in rocky clear rivers.

Sandy silt rivers like the Oconee eat them up pretty fast. I mean they work while they worked, that river in particular has an extremely heavy silt load,

and all the fisherman hate them,loud obnoxious mostly and ruin fishing when they come tooling by,Like the airboats on Seminole what a bunch that is. Hear em at the dam and every alligator goes under when it starts during season

We were happy with an Outlaw Lynx jetboat purchased many years ago, at that time there was a lot of options.

The one we bought was WAY tougher than what we needed, and that was my fault. But it was a tank. Jumped a tiny waterfall on my first trip out and came down hard on a large rock table I didn't see on the other side :)

The rest of the run home I wondered how much damage I had done. When we pulled it off the ramp, not a scratch, but it had a thick bottom with a bunch of UHMW as well. My worrying on the run back to the ramp was unfounded.

Worth looking into, but they ain't cheap.

Back
Top Bottom