• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Jerry Tsai (recoil) resigns

The MP7 and P90 don't fire the same round.
MP7 4.6mm
P90 5.7mm

I think that might be a deal killer. The MP7 doesn't have a pistol counterpart. And logistics of the 4.6 and it coming to market after the 5.7 has engrained itself as "the" PDW caliber might not help either...

250657_10151069739611699_263092621_n.jpg

I think that might be a deal killer. The MP7 doesn't have a pistol counterpart. And logistics of the 4.6 and it coming to market after the 5.7 has engrained itself as "the" PDW caliber might not help either...

Why does it have to have a pistol counterpart to be successful? It is a PDW not a subgun. One doesn't have to equal the other. The 300blkout has been successful as a new round for shorter PDWish AR15's and smaller bolt guns and to my knowledge nobody has made a true 300blkout handgun and I am not talking about the AR15 pistols either. If a round is successful it will be made. The 300 Black Out has proven that. As I said before the P90 has been successful because of what it is and the Five Seven pistol has had little, if anything to do with that. The Five Seven is the P90's sidekick, not the other way around.

Since Jerry took a hike, maybe they can hire this old Russian guy to take his place. He handles full-auto "Recoil" like a Boss!!

[video=youtube_share;em1AgMenc94]http://youtu.be/em1AgMenc94[/video]

First I've heard of this new gun/caliber... So 4.6mm equals about a .181 caliber?

Where's this going to fall in the old 9 vs. 45 style debate ;) I'm sure it went around when the Five Seven first appeared, but I wasn't a gun forum person then- or really much of a gun person aside from a shotgun and a couple .22LRs.

Totally off topic. But I think Tsai should get a Christmas card from H&K for all the publicity he gave them because of that article.

Why does it have to have a pistol counterpart to be successful? It is a PDW not a subgun. One doesn't have to equal the other. The 300blkout has been successful as a new round for shorter PDWish AR15's and smaller bolt guns and to my knowledge nobody has made a true 300blkout handgun and I am not talking about the AR15 pistols either. If a round is successful it will be made. The 300 Black Out has proven that. As I said before the P90 has been successful because of what it is and the Five Seven pistol has had little, if anything to do with that. The Five Seven is the P90's sidekick, not the other way around.

Just ask FN what makes up the bulk of their 57 civilian sales. It ain't the P90. The initial NATO requirement was for a PDW and Pistol counterpart. The FiveseveN and P90 from FN; MP7 and UCP from HK.
The Five-seveN was instrumental in the acceptance of the 5.7mm in the civilian market.

Just ask FN what makes up the bulk of their 57 civilian sales. It ain't the P90. The initial NATO requirement was for a PDW and Pistol counterpart. The FiveseveN and P90 from FN; MP7 and UCP from HK.
The Five-seveN was instrumental in the acceptance of the 5.7mm in the civilian market.

FN won't tell you their exact sales figures. So how could you know. All there is to really go on is a rough estimate through gun store sales and serial number searches. The estimate is somewhere around 23,000 US Five Seven owners. The P90 sales estimate is between 40,000 and 45,000 US wide. So I think you might need to re-check your math because by my count the P90 out sells the Five Seven here in the US by almost 2 to 1. Think for a second, when was the last time you saw multiple five seven pistols available for sale in a shop? It isn't that common. The P90 on the other hand can be had in colors with different optic and rail choices at just about any good gun shop. The P90 was developed first in the mid 80s with the Five Seven introduced in the early 90's. The P90 was a PDW that spawned a pistol, not a pistol that spawned a PDW. There is nothing wrong with the Five Seven, but it is not the launching pad you are claiming. The MP7 wouldn't need a mini-me pistol to be successful. Like the P90, the MP7 has enough substance in it's capabilities it can stand on its own.

Last edited:
The 5.7X28 AR's did not come out until long after..years after both the FN Five Seven and the P90 had been available to the civilian market. The Five Seven pistol has not been anywhere near as successful as the P90 has in regards to sales either. The 5.7X28 round is a success because of the P90 and the P90 is a success not because of the Five Seven pistol and not because of the AR hybrids that came later. The P90 has done and continues to do very well and it is essentially exactly what the MP7 is, a PDW. People like the concept of a compact, small caliber PDW. This is why the P90 will continue to do well it is also why so many people were clamoring for the Kel Tec PMR carbine and it is why people continue to hound KAC to make their PDW. A semi-auto civilian version of the MP7 would sell like mad. Despite the inevitable H&K price tag and the initial ammo cost. As it us you have people spending thousands of dollars to build HK UMP's and MP5's from part kits just to get their hands on what they want. I don't think the price would be that high, no more than an FN SCAR or Bushmaster ACR. You don't have to be super rich to own those. Cost isn't really that big of a hurdle if someone wants something bad enough.
im not saying people wont buy them, but i dont think it would be profitable for HK (going back to folks building their own UMP's and MP5s, alot of those parts are made by not HK right? hk doesnt see that money)

i mean, its the same reason a company like cz doesnt go through the effort to make the cz92 here in the states, they could i suppose, but the market for them isnt large enough (in their eyes) for them to do it

i dont know the sales stats, i didnt figure the p90 was widely popular (i mean enough, but by comparison to other guns not so much). i mean the company has a reason for not doing it im sure

Back
Top Bottom