• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Jeep experts, i need some help

Coil spacers with a quality shock(Bilstein is my preference) will keep the factory ride characteristics. Rubicon Express 2.5in lift part number 7141 if you want something alil more sporty. If you opt for the rub ex kit get their shocks. Also made by Bilstein. As for ball joints, I would do a shake down on the front and rear for any potential problems that could be exaggerated by a lift prior to the lift kit. Beings it's at 105k it needs more than ball joints unless other repairs have been done previously. I work on 4wds for a living so if you have any questions, feel free to reach out

Why do you assume you need ball joints? My XJ has 183K on the originals. My 4Runner has close to 500K on the originals. I say just lift it; you'll find out if you need new ball joints when you try to give an alignment after.

My experience with my XJ, which has similar front suspension:
When you lift it with new coils or spacers the axle(s) will no longer be centered. You will need a new track bar up front and panhard rod in back (if yours has coil springs) to center the axle(s). This will likely mean you'll have to add a drop pitman arm to reduce bump steer in the front.

You'll need to buy longer lower control arms, probably front and rear, to re-establish correct pinion angles on each axle or there will be driveline vibration. You may or may not need new brake lines, but you'll probably need new shocks. And if the new tires are significantly larger than the old tires you'll probably want to regear it, both axles.

Lifting these things any appreciable amount is not trivial, and if you try to cheap out you'll be able to tell.

Just get a leveling kit with new springs. Super simple and do not go with 33 tires, they are too small. 35 is the perfect size for JKs that are lifted just alittle. I drove my 2012 JKU for 190K with that set up and it was great. The new JT has an AV lift kit and 35s, but for $1500 more I do not think it rides $1500 better....

Back
Top Bottom