• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Item Relisted! FS Smith and Wesson Victory Model

Reaction score
Item has been relisted, you can find the new listing at: http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/fs-smith-and-wesson-victory-model.1151666/
Item Name: FS Smith and Wesson Victory Model

Zip Code: 30341

Item is for: Sale Only
Sale Price: 300

Caliber: 38 Special

Willing to Ship: No

Bill of Sale Required?: Yes

Billing Information: I will require a bill of sale for anyone without a Georgia Weapons Carry License. Anyone that can show me their license to carry will not require a BOS

Item Description: Well, I made an impulse buy and now have to sell something to justify it. Much to the delight of my girlfriend, I'm getting rid of the old S&W that I received from an ex back in the day. This ex knew little about guns or history, an got me this because it was shiny, so much of the background information I'll provide is speculative based on research I've done online and markings on the gun.

I have for sale a Smith and Wesson Victory model revolver from the 1940s. From what I can tell, this gun was made between 1942 and 1945 for war, and was nickel plated, fitted with aftermarket grips, and had it's 4 inch barrel replaced with a 2 inch sometime in the last 80 years. The serial number on the barrel does not match the frame, but both have the Victory "v" stamp. Barrel rifling is still good, and reasonably accurate with cowboy loads I've tested on it.

With that said, I'm not looking to dupe anyone: I would not recommend this gun for regular shooting of anything other than cowboy loads, or self loaded light 38 cartridges. I've never tried +P or anything, but have noticed that shooting certain modern range ammo will cause a bulge in the casing and make the cylinder more gritty when it tries to turn. Not sure if it has to do with higher pressure/heat, but I wanted to give you fair warning. I had a gunsmith look at it, and he gave me a shrug and said to use lower pressured ammo, hence the cowboy loads.

The price is somewhat negotiable, since I know this isn't something that has a lot to compare with, but I listed it in the ballpark of what she paid for it. I live near perimeter mall, but can travel a bit under the right circumstances. No bill of sale for those licensed to carry, for anyone else, I'll need a piece of paper with your signature that says "I'm legal to own a firearm."

Pictures:
image1-jpg.753120

image2-jpg.753121

Cases are bulging because the cylinder is chambered for .38 S&W (most likely).

Take it to another gunsmith who knows what he is doing and have him check the cylinder.

Also, slug the barrel and see what it's shooting.

Take it to another gunsmith who knows what he is doing and have him check the cylinder.

I had originally thought that too, but it has ".38 special" engraved in the side, and I tried chambering a 38 S&W cartridge which didn't fit properly in the cylinder.

.38 special cases are significantly longer than .38 S&W and won't fit in the chambers.

.38 special cases are significantly longer than .38 S&W and won't fit in the chambers.

I believe that you will find that depends on the gun (and to some extent the bullet in the cartridge).

More than likely this is a .38 S&W (.38/200) cylinder that was through bored longer for .38 Special, leaving the oversized .38 S&W chambers. Not an uncommon modification of these guns, particularly in a era when reloading wasn't a real factor.

Someone apparently put a .38 Special barrel on it, so now it's questionable firing .38 S&W in it.

I believe that you will find that depends on the gun (and to some extent the bullet in the cartridge).

More than likely this is a .38 S&W (.38/200) cylinder that was through bored longer for .38 Special, leaving the oversized .38 S&W chambers. Not an uncommon modification of these guns, particularly in a era when reloading wasn't a real factor.

Someone apparently put a .38 Special barrel on it, so now it's questionable firing .38 S&W in it.
I suppose that's possible. A quick call to S&W with the serial number on the butt would confirm that. It's also possible that there's a serial number on the cylinder that would further confirm that theory.

Back
Top Bottom