37   0
Reaction score
Item Name: WTB - .257 Roberts

Zip Code: 30047

Item is for: Sale/Trade NOT SPECIFIED

Caliber: .257 Roberts

Willing to Ship: No

Bill of Sale Required?: No

Item Description: I'm building a .257 AI and need some .257 Roberts brass or loads to convert. Or I'll take some that's already been converted. New or once fired, but I'm really only interested in RP headstamps. I have some WW and it doesn't seem to like being converted. Looking for large quantities, namely 50 or higher, I'll meet wherever but not interested in driving to Macon for 5 rounds. Cash in hand and I have things to trade if need be but I prefer to pay cash. let me know what you have or if you know where I can get some. Thanks. Jim

DISCLAIMER: Always comply with local, state, federal, and international law. The Outdoors Trader does not become involved in transactions between parties. Review our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use for more information.
Using dummy loads just for fire forming and the primer pockets are blowing out. It's probably just me, I've never ever had any kind of luck with WW brass. Plus the necks are all splitting and cracking. But as of now it's all I have to work with, so I'll keep trying. Thanks. Jim

Primer pockets 'blowing out'!!?? You mean backing out or expanding from excessive pressure? Something is not right either way. Will PM my # if you would like to discuss your AI project. I've done several, including a 257 Robt AI.

Here is some info about fire forming that may help.

Taken from 6mmbr.com

Fire-Forming
As always, fire-forming is done by one of two methods. Most of you will fire form the brass with loaded .243 Winchester. Ackley always said to use factory loads, or reload equivalent ammo to have a "snappy" load to form the case out properly. You never want to use a reduced load to form with, since you need the pressure to form properly. If your rifle is chambered properly, you should feel a slight amount of resistance as you close the bolt on a new piece of brass. If you do not get this "feel", you may need to seat the bullets out to .010" to .015" into the lands to make sure that the base of the case stays in solid contact with the bolt face. The fire-forming method I have been using more lately employs medium burn-rate pistol powders and Cream of Wheat. I will start by loading about 10 grains of SR4756 or Unique into the case, and then I fill the case up to the body shoulder junction with Cream of Wheat. I will then take a large pinch of polyester filler, which can be found at any fabric supply store, or sewing department, such as at Wal-Mart. I will then take the pinch of polyester and load it into the case so that it fills up the shoulder area of the case effectively making sure that the filler is held securely over the powder for fire-forming. During the fire-forming, I like to dry brush with a nylon bore brush every 10 to 15 rounds. This removes any loose debris from filler that has accumulated. [Editors Note: Do NOT seat a bullet using this "Cream of Wheat" method. You can cap the case with a bit of wax to keep everything in place. However, Bob finds the wax is not necessary if the polyester filler is placed securely.]

I have four bags of 50ea new unopened WW brass in 257 bob to sell if anyone wants some. I will let it go for $$45 per bag shipped USPS. Sorry to jump on your post but if you need some let me know. This stuff has been hard to find so I wanted to share some of what I found. I have only fire formed with my .243 AI and found I had to keep the pressure a little lower to avoid splitting the necks. Drop it down an grain or so and see how it does. I have never tried annealing but that would also help greatly.

I grew up 40 miles from the Remington factory, so my hatred for Winchester runs deep, and for mostly irrational reasons. But it is what it is, I've never ever had luck with anything Winchester, so I learned long ago to just steer clear when I can. I've gotten the brass I need to keep my project going so I'm good. Good luck with the sale of that brass though, a great deal for someone in need.

Item Name: WTB - .257 Roberts

Zip Code: 30047

Item is for: Sale/Trade NOT SPECIFIED

Caliber: .257 Roberts

Willing to Ship: No

Bill of Sale Required?: No

Item Description: I'm building a .257 AI and need some .257 Roberts brass or loads to convert. Or I'll take some that's already been converted. New or once fired, but I'm really only interested in RP headstamps. I have some WW and it doesn't seem to like being converted. Looking for large quantities, namely 50 or higher, I'll meet wherever but not interested in driving to Macon for 5 rounds. Cash in hand and I have things to trade if need be but I prefer to pay cash. let me know what you have or if you know where I can get some. Thanks. Jim
Have 72 brass formed from LC NM (national Match) 30-06. Have 68 -100 gr Speer Spitzer bullets, 100 - 60 gr Hornaday soft point bullets, 54 - 75 gr Sierra hollow point bullets. Are you interested?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom