Default rank <4500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
73   0
Reaction score
Item Name: Item Gone: Need small first pistol for first time shooter

Item is for: Sale/Trade NOT SPECIFIED

Willing to Ship: No

Bill of Sale Required?: No

Item Description: I don't have a big budget but I have a lady wants to protect herself and family I'm trying to scrape up a cheap small pistol to get her started in training any help is appreciated not asking for free just cheap has to be small as she is terrified of firearms but more worried than ever thanks brothers

DISCLAIMER: Always comply with local, state, federal, and international law. The Outdoors Trader does not become involved in transactions between parties. Review our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use for more information.
I definitely suggest trying different platforms out. If she is terrified of a tool, it's not likely she will be competent in using it.
See if revolver or semi auto is preferred and her ability to use both before purchasing, even on the cheap. My wife I thought would like a small semi auto, turns out the slide rack, mag insertion, mag release, safety and stuff was all too much. So I grabbed a 38spl snub nose and she rocks it.
Rock Island offers a great 38spl snubnose for a great price.

Hope it helps

I would avoid any small pistol for a first time shooter. They are hard to shoot well and take a lot of practice to master. They also recoil more and can more easily cause the development of a flinch.

Unless this person is planning on carrying, a larger gun (Glock 19-17 size) will hold more rounds and shoot better for them than any small gun.

She has shot some but stated she doesn't like as she put it dirty Harry pistols ...but wants too be able to put one in her purse .I showed her a derringer I have she didn't like that so I'm just looking

I would avoid any small pistol for a first time shooter. They are hard to shoot well and take a lot of practice to master. They also recoil more and can more easily cause the development of a flinch.

Unless this person is planning on carrying, a larger gun (Glock 19-17 size) will hold more rounds and shoot better for them than any small gun.
Definitely what spencer60 said. I've taught numerous noobs, did sales at a large retailer, and have been a Firearms Instructor for about 4 years now. To a person, people who bought or tried micro guns first have a harder time and are less satisfied in the long run. When possible start with larger guns and work down, even .22s for the first few shots at the range. Dirty Harry didn't start with a .44 but he didn't start with a pocket rocket either. Standard or compact (ie G19) are still going to fit in a purse.

FYI be sure if purse carry is what she wants that she gets a dedicated carry purse. Warn her about just putting a gun in the main compartment with all her other stuff. It's dangerous and leads to issues with functionality. I know this is more $$ but if she's gonna carry she needs proper equipment.

If she is looking to carry she really needs to take a good intro class, preferably one that's aimed at women. As we see all the time, there's way more to carrying a gun than just the gun. Knowing the law and gun safety and basic skills are far more important than simply dumping a gun in your purse.

BTW, if she's 'terrified of firearms' you might want to start her off with something she can use immediately, like pepper spray. The Kimber 'gel' spray is pretty good, and is carried and used similar to a firearm, but without the extra baggage.

If she is looking to carry she really needs to take a good intro class, preferably one that's aimed at women. As we see all the time, there's way more to carrying a gun than just the gun. Knowing the law and gun safety and basic skills are far more important than simply dumping a gun in your purse.

BTW, if she's 'terrified of firearms' you might want to start her off with something she can use immediately, like pepper spray. The Kimber 'gel' spray is pretty good, and is carried and used similar to a firearm, but without the extra baggage.
I taught pistol classes in Ohio when they first allowed conceal carry I have shot with her she is excellent in all areas of safety .. awareness.all points of interest she just isn't into larger framed weapon's

I taught pistol classes in Ohio when they first allowed conceal carry I have shot with her she is excellent in all areas of safety .. awareness.all points of interest she just isn't into larger framed weapon's

Yet as a newbie those larger weapons are the ones she will have the most success with...

Maybe something like the P365 XL would work? It's compact yet still has a decent sized grip and frame and shoots very well. I also really like my Hellcat Pro, although that may fall into the 'larger framed' category since it's G19 sized, just thinner. Or maybe one of the 43x/48 Glocks?

There's a lot these days in between the G19-size carry guns and the LCP-size micro guns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom