• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Item Gone: Need advice from diesel mechanic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kato42

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
2   0
Reaction score
Item Name: Item Gone: Need advice from diesel mechanic

Item is for: Sale/Trade NOT SPECIFIED

Willing to Ship: No

Bill of Sale Required?: No

Item Description: I'm currently looking at getting a 2010 Ford F-250 king ranch with the 6.4 and 115,000 miles on it. Truck looks clean and carfax comes back with all recommended maintenance done but I know the 6.0 and 6.4 can have catastrophic issues. If I get it, I would be looking at doing a full delete/tune. Any diesel mechanics out there have any advice/cautionary tips on what they think I should do? Thanks for the help.

DISCLAIMER: Always comply with local, state, federal, and international law. The Outdoors Trader does not become involved in transactions between parties. Review our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use for more information.
You are concerned about catastrophic failure on the truck you might buy? But you want to do the two things that are most dangerous to the engine? Egr delete and the tuner are the most dangerous things you will do to the engine. Don’t mess with the pcm. I’m just a ford tech.
You're the first tech to ever claim that doing a delete on the 6.4 is the most dangerous thing to do to it. Every other mechanic I've ever talked to said the 6.0 was terrible but can be bullet proofed. The 6.4 has had so many problems, due to the forced emissions that the DPF/EGR puts on the engine and a delete is the best way to mitigate problems down the road.

I'm well aware of the cost required to maintain diesel engines. I have a 2004 2500HD that has 310,000 miles on it. I got it for 12k back in 2014 and I'm looking to upgrade, I just can't bring myself to justify paying $50,000+ for a newer diesel with 100,000+ miles on it already.

It would have to be dirt cheap for me to even remotely consider a 6.4.

The biggest issue with the 6.4L is not only is it damn near impossible to "bullet proof", but virtually every part on the engine is ridiculously expensive....and that's only the start. Finding a decent 6.4L mechanic who will even touch the truck is even a challenge.

I'd take an '07 6.0L over any year 6.4, no question about it.

I'm well aware of the cost required to maintain diesel engines. I have a 2004 2500HD that has 310,000 miles on it. I got it for 12k back in 2014 and I'm looking to upgrade, I just can't bring myself to justify paying $50,000+ for a newer diesel with 100,000+ miles on it already.

I did the math a while back on the Ford truck website. If you cut out a few goodies you can buy a new one with warranty in the high 60's low 70's. If you insist on every feature know to man and seats made from Corintian leather you will pay more

I did the math a while back on the Ford truck website. If you cut out a few goodies you can buy a new one with warranty in the high 60's low 70's. If you insist on every feature know to man and seats made from Corintian leather you will pay more
Brand new single rear wheel f-350 Platinum with almost every available option will run you around 83k. But you have a 500k mile truck. Spend almost as much on 1/2 ton, pray it’s still running at 200k miles and lucky to get 20k for it. Super lucky! Get a 6.7 and never regret it.

Bought a 6.4L new. I have owned ever diesel Ford has ever built. This is by far the worst. traded with 24k miles on it. Was showing 9 miles per gallon when I traded. Don’t do it move on. 7.3‘s are over priced. 6.7 is the only one I would consider. Owned 2, no issues.

I've heard of several guys who bought one new in 09 and had the engine implode taking the transmission out with it. Had to turn around the next day and spend $18,000+ on a new engine and tranny.

I've had 6.0L, there are good ones and bad ones. The 6.4 is just a time bomb. Sooner or later, bang.

I've had a 2011 6.7 for several months now. I'm digging it :thumb:

I'm currently looking at getting a 2010 Ford F-250 king ranch with the 6.4 and 115,000 miles on it. Truck looks clean and carfax comes back with all recommended maintenance done but I know the 6.0 and 6.4 can have catastrophic issues. If I get it, I would be looking at doing a full delete/tune. Any diesel mechanics out there have any advice/cautionary tips on what they think I should do? Thanks for the help.
I have a 2004 F350, 6.0, with about 160k miles that I purchased new. It is in its original state from the factory, with exception of a 58V FICM upgrade, and replacement of EGR valve twice out of caution, which was a minimal investment.
While I have heard horror stories about this engine, I have never had any issues out of it.

Regular maintenance using synthetic oil, quality diesel fuel and additive, Schaeffer or the like, and here we are going on 20 years later.

They have sucked all of the lubricity out of diesel fuel to spare the ozone, and I believe that is the issue with todays diesels.

Even Dodge is having issues with that Cummins! Big trucks use to knock on a million miles before you had to go inside of the engine and rework it, you're lucky to get 500k out of them today without tinkering with them.

Just my 2 cents!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom