• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Item Gone: Best steel case ammo? anybody?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roscoe1911

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
83   0
Reaction score
Item Name: Best steel case ammo

Zip Code: 30015

Item is for: Sale/Trade NOT SPECIFIED

Caliber: 7.62 , 556

Willing to Ship: No

Bill of Sale Required?: No

Item Description: which brand is the best?

DISCLAIMER: Always comply with local, state, federal, and international law. The Outdoors Trader does not become involved in transactions between parties. Review our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use for more information.
Best? That will be any reputable surplus. As far as commercial, Wolf is a hodgepodge of brands. Hit or miss but mostly adequate. If you find a good box then grab that whole lot number.

Barnaul makes a large variety, probably the best commercial out there imo.
I've never had any issues with Tula other than very inconsistent accuracy on paper. Goes bang every time but still at the bottom of my list.

roscoe1911 roscoe1911
Brass bullet, steel case "range-safe" Tula is the most accurate of the current 5.56 Russian ammo that I have tried (Cetme L and Colt)
Barnaul made FMJBT and Amurks/Golden tiger (under their own label and Century) are next.
Early 90's Barnaul 5.56 ammo with a pic of a cowboy shooting a rifle is a cat's meow, capable of 1 MOA accuracy. If you see it, stock up. It is laquer coated and sealed.
I did an extensive write up on steel case ammo at one point, but I am not allowed to link it here.

SGammo has golden tiger in stock $279 a thousand it shoots great in my AK's did this today and I'm blind and 60 at 50 yards iron sights

image.jpeg

Watch the AK Operators Union series he did on 7.62x39 ammo. It's 3 episodes if I remember but very well done and it came up with some surprises (spoiler... Golden Tiger is not as good as people like to think it is).

Your ignorance is showing.
There is no just one Wolf ammo. It all depents on the manufacturer.
Yes they import the ****ty stuff. I used to shoot wolf 9mm on occasion because I got it for 4 bucks a box. I have had more success with bear and even Tula in almost all calibers. You said you've never done any accuracy testing, I have. And reliability testing also. But any reliability and accuracy situation is dependent on the gun as much as anything i would say. I wasnt trying to show my ignorance, I'm usually pretty good at hiding it.

If it comes from a hodgepodge of manufacturers, I'd rather stick with what I know. I dont have any interest in learning about the subcategories of steel ammo that are imported by one certain company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom