• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Issue with 200gr SWC's

synspeed

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
74   0
Reaction score
I handload the majority of my .45 auto, and one in particular is giving me problems. My 200gr SWC lead load (the black bullet from precisionbullets.com) prints roughly 2-3 inches low and 1" left at distances as short as 15yds. Before anyone attacks my marksmanship, please note that my other loads (230gr fmj and 185gr swc match) print at exactly point of aim. I have gone so far as to verify this deviation from a pistol rest at 15 and 25 yards. Test pistol is a Colt Combat 5" with a match barrel. Any ideas would be appreciated.

They are double struck with a moly coating. Ill try upping the charge a hair.

And b.a.- all I do is taper crimp them. I hate to toss all these 200's...

It may be too much of a crimp, back off on the crimp to whet all you are doing is taking the bell out of the case and straightening it out

That's what I'm doing. Simply removing the flare. Case has no "crimp" at all.

- - - Updated - - -

That's what I'm doing. Simply removing the flare. Case has no "crimp" at all.

I have used those bullets for years, and have had good luck with them. I know it goes against the norm, but I have always crimped the heck out of them, and have had great accuracy.

The bullets are swagged and therefore soft. The powder charge will swell them up into the barrel grooves. Average power should work fine. I keep mine running around 850 FPS.

I recommend a fast powder with an average load.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom