• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is it possible to reload .45 using large pistol "magnum" primers?

testdepth

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
51   0
Reaction score
I bought a large box of what I thought was simply large pistol primers from the store that starts with G M. When I got them home I noticed they were large pistol magnum primers and the G M store refuses to take them back even though its unopened.

Can .45 shells be safely loaded with magnum primers?

They can be used but you will have to build the load again (don't reuse an old one). You should start with a light load and work your way up carefully.

This ^

Not really a choice for target loads but will work for combat accuracy.

Not quite sure I understand. Magnum primers burn a little hotter and can add FPS/PSI to your load. So, to be safe, you should work up a new load for the magnum primers. As for accuracy, that depends on the load but some people seem to think they can get better accuracy with magnum primers (personally, I haven't seen that). I have however seen magnum primers that were harder to punch so a weak firing pin might give you problems.

Last edited:
Why not swap them off? I understand them not taking them back. I've seen stuff people return that wasn't what they were given. I've also seen people at gun shows selling boxes of their old carry ammo.

I use them quite a bit. They only add a few FPS to the load. I have found that the standard deviation is higher as compared to standard primers. If you are loading at the max level, you should back it off about ten percent. If you are loading a mid level load, I would just use the same load and see how she runs. 45 is such a low pressure load even at its max, it puts very little stress on its case. It is unlikely, I cannot say impossible, that you will have any issues loading mid level or lighter loads with magnum primers.

Example: I have a 357 load that I have been trying to max out. I used a small rifle primer to get from 1560FPS to a whopping 1605 -- only 45FPS were gained. With an almost max load W296 and a 125 grain bullet.

The down side to magnum primers is that if you have a light striking hammer, it may not set them off. The metal is harder in magnum primers to prevent blown out primers with super hot loads.

Any time you change anything in your load, it only makes sense to start over with load development. Yes, you likely can use the magnum primers with only a moderate powder adjustment, but I wouldn't load many before testing.

People will argue that "a primer is a primer." I however subscribe to the consumer side of the argument. I don't pretend to "know" more than the manufacturer of the products. The manufacturer's don't make all these types only so they can sell us more. Different powders react to the temperature of the start spark. This can create substantially different pressures.

I use Winchester LP and I believe Remington LP is rated for all pistol rounds too. The CCI, Federal, and others that use separate types do it for a reason.

Back
Top Bottom