• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Interesting Read from another Time

Targetmaster

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
228   0
Reaction score
A member of my Platoon, a medic (I lost three) was medically retired and the VA is giving him some problems (like they always do, sad) asked to send him a copy of an after action report to give to the VA and his Congressman. Like a pack rat, I save everything, it was a little tattered, torn and yellow, but thank God for PC. Cleaned it up a little and I hope it does him some good, Great Guy and a good friend and he said he'll send me one from when I was shot in the Head LOL. (yeah, it happened:doh: and I refused a Dust off and stayed with my Platoon. But here it is, a little insight of 53 years ago. ...
(On January 24th 1968, our unit E Company, 4th Battalion 47th Regiment 9th Infantry Division 4th Platoon were on a search and destroy mission in the Mekong Delta of what was the Republic of Vietnam, The TET offensive was in action and we encountered several engagements during the part of the sweep. I was the Platoon Sergeant for the 4th platoon and John Beaumonte was the Platoon Medic replacing the former Medic who also severely, wounded the first of the year. As we checked the village for weapons and contraband, Beaumonte gave aid to some of the Village Children. When we were ready to move out, Beaumonte, tripped a hidden Trip Wire of a buried Chicom Mortar round. There was a large flash and explosion with smoke and Beaumonte fell, screaming to the ground. His right arm and the right side of his face was covered in Blood. I yelled to a Squad leader to secure the perimeter and rushed with one other to were Beaumonte lay. His right arm was torn severely. in several places. His Medical bag was ripped off of him and the contents were scatter everywhere. I saw a tourniquet laying on the ground and quickly tied off his right arm as he was bleeding profusely. We applied a field dressing to the side of his face, which appeared to be opened to the jaw. We treated him for shock and called for the RTO to request a dust off for a severely wounded member. The Huey arrived in about ten minutes, but seemed like several hours. I keep talking to Beaumonte, but it appeared both ear drums were ruptured, myself and two others carried Beaumonte to the Chopper and I told the On Board Crewman/Medic of his condition and our treatment and to keep talking to him. Beaumonte was flow to our Base Camp in Dongtam at that time.. This Statement is True and Correct to the Best of my Knowledge. SFC R. Pilcher RA 14810719)
Beaumonte is the Killer in the Middle of My Thug Platoon:thumb:

Attachments

• medic...jpg
    medic...jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 134
Back
Top Bottom