• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Interesting local hospital issue

Not possible for a new grad, or not possible at all?
I can positively refute the latter assertion if that is what you are endeavoring to make.

https://khn.org/news/highly-paid-traveling-nurses-fill-staffing-shortages-during-covid-pandemic/
(this one mentions $10,000/ week)

Here's an actual recruiter page: you get to page 21 before the salaries drop below $5400/week. Many of these do list a requirement for one year of RN experience.

This one takes nurses with 6-9 months experience.

However, I cannot positively prove nor disprove the former possibility. Again, $140/hr is only $5600 / week.
And as the "crunch" of lack of nurses continues, wages continue to rise. A true supply and demand situation. I can confirm that brand new nurse anesthetists grads are often recruited to large hospitals offering big carrots. And currently, there are a lot of travel RN positions that are paying more than CRNA positions in the same hospital. But that's not comparing apples to apples. Even here in poor rural NE Ga there are hospitals forking over $125/hr for ER nurses hired through agencies.

I can't say a new grad "would" get $140 / hour, but I certainly can't disprove it either. They can often be 1099 positions with no health insurance. However, as stated above, that salary may include travel, malpractice, and housing. As a former recruiter, you'd call in "all inclusive".

Lastly, we need a better understanding of "right out of school". The lady may have graduated in April or June. Maybe she did an "internship" or "nurse residency" at the hospital so she's gotten some pre-RN or "new grad RN" experience. Maybe she's working 12 hour night shifts. Over twenty years ago my lovely wife was offered a very lucrative position as a CVOR nurse right out of school because she'd done an "internship" there. Everyone, including, or, perhaps, especially, the surgeons liked her because she was (and still is) very competent and hard working.

So, it's not impossible. Once we rule out the impossible, whatever is left, even if highly unlikely, is still possible. (Sherlock said something similar to Watson on multiple occasions.)
In my original post, which was deleted for a reference to a sexual act while thinly veiled racism persists on this site, I did specifically call out new grad. New grads aren't getting that. There are plenty of nurses with 5+ years of ICU/ER experience getting that.

Correction I did all out new grad in my earlier post as well. My point still stands.

I appreciate the attempt at patronization as well calling out 1099 no benefits etc. Having been in the field, as I said, I highly doubt you are in tune with all of the intricacies you think you are....w/e though. You do you big dog!

I appreciate the attempt at patronization as well calling out 1099 no benefits etc. Having been in the field, as I said, I highly doubt you are in tune with all of the intricacies you think you are....w/e though. You do you big dog!
I'm perplexed at this last paragraph, especially the last bit,. Did you mean "you go, you big dog"? I'll take that as a compliment as every place I've ever worked as a locum tenens wanted to hire me as a regular full time nurse anesthetist. (ok, that was a shameless plug, but it's also true) Thank you for the compliment. I do a lot of prn work, and, although I may not be familiar with all the internal intricacies, I have more than a passing knowledge of the industry.

Ergo:

I was providing valid information with references. I won't cast aspersions on your past work, nor attempt to dissuade you from whatever convictions you may hold.

However, are you "in tune" with the current severe shortage? Do you know how desperate many small, as well as large, hospitals are for nurses?

Did you even peruse the two articles enumerating the growth of travel nurses? The industry has doubled per two of those references. High paying OB, ICU, ER, and even Med/Surg travel positions are open all across the country. Med/Surg! Could you ever have imagined ten years ago that a Med/Surg nurse would make more than $5K / week? I would say that was considered impossible even five years ago. (no disrespect for any med/surg nurses, their spouses, or family members. Med/Surg is the backbone of nursing but is not considered a financially lucrative "specialty")

This is reminiscent of the discussion I had with an insurance inspector who claimed that each and every medical insurance claim submitted to a major insurance company over several decades was paid correctly, on time, and none were ever "lost". He was on one side of the industry, while providers, like me, on the other side of the business were routinely having to refile "lost" claims. Or submit more supporting documents, or follow up on claims repeatedly. The insurance companies can make their numbers look good. The physicians and hospitals and providers have their end to deal with.

At the end of the day, you've ground in your heels and doubled down on your past experience and insider knowledge, to the exclusion of other information and possibilities. This is really no different than the proverbial "9mm vs. 45 acp" or "Glock vs. 1911" arguments. I'm open to hearing everyone's arguments, and I don't "patronize".

I'm not going to call K killerv a lier, nor categorically state his friend or the friend's daughter is lying. I provided current info regarding the shortage.

Nor will I even say you are definitely wrong. But, T titan2k10 , chill out.

Two points. #1. I have a close friend who just graduated nursing school with a BSN and was at the top of her class.She received several offers for full time work, non travelIng. She chose the second to the highest paying which was at $24/hr. in a non critical unit.
#2 If she works past 2100, she would get an additional $1.25/hr. If she works Sat/Sun she would get an extra $1/hr. Were she to work in the ED of this hospital, she would get an additional stipend of $10 hour. Plus, if she works an extra shift, above her scheduled 3 per week, she’d get an additional $12/hour. Then, anything over 40 is time and one half for a possible (if my math is correct) $72/hour.

Having said all of that traveling RNs can make a lot more, but without experience of time and knowledge, they would be in a ****hole town to get near $100/hr. Once they have a year or two POST school under their belt, and they get significant experience in a high demand area such as ED or cardiac care, or ICU, they could get the best towns, biggest pay, and first choice of assignments. Plus, once you factor in per diem, then you’re talking serious money, like over $300K.

Over the mtn in NC they just fired 175 drs and nurses due to unwillingness to take the shot. I guess they are counting on recruiting Army medics from Bragg. Backfilling with military personnel is authorized. Not sure how it will work out in the maternity wards and ortho areas, but good luck.

My wife just showed me a mass recruiting drive in the houston county area posted to FB that appeared to be sheer desperation for hiring medical staff. They are either quitting/being fired because of the shot, or they are moving on to posts/positions that don't require the jab. Good for them, Reap what you sow.

The video of one of the top docs at UCLA medical center is pretty telling. He live streamed his resignation. It was pretty good. The news said he was one of the top 3 for the entire center campus. Not anymore.....

I'm perplexed at this last paragraph, especially the last bit,. Did you mean "you go, you big dog"? I'll take that as a compliment as every place I've ever worked as a locum tenens wanted to hire me as a regular full time nurse anesthetist. (ok, that was a shameless plug, but it's also true) Thank you for the compliment. I do a lot of prn work, and, although I may not be familiar with all the internal intricacies, I have more than a passing knowledge of the industry.

Ergo:

I was providing valid information with references. I won't cast aspersions on your past work, nor attempt to dissuade you from whatever convictions you may hold.

However, are you "in tune" with the current severe shortage? Do you know how desperate many small, as well as large, hospitals are for nurses?

Did you even peruse the two articles enumerating the growth of travel nurses? The industry has doubled per two of those references. High paying OB, ICU, ER, and even Med/Surg travel positions are open all across the country. Med/Surg! Could you ever have imagined ten years ago that a Med/Surg nurse would make more than $5K / week? I would say that was considered impossible even five years ago. (no disrespect for any med/surg nurses, their spouses, or family members. Med/Surg is the backbone of nursing but is not considered a financially lucrative "specialty")

This is reminiscent of the discussion I had with an insurance inspector who claimed that each and every medical insurance claim submitted to a major insurance company over several decades was paid correctly, on time, and none were ever "lost". He was on one side of the industry, while providers, like me, on the other side of the business were routinely having to refile "lost" claims. Or submit more supporting documents, or follow up on claims repeatedly. The insurance companies can make their numbers look good. The physicians and hospitals and providers have their end to deal with.

At the end of the day, you've ground in your heels and doubled down on your past experience and insider knowledge, to the exclusion of other information and possibilities. This is really no different than the proverbial "9mm vs. 45 acp" or "Glock vs. 1911" arguments. I'm open to hearing everyone's arguments, and I don't "patronize".

I'm not going to call K killerv a lier, nor categorically state his friend or the friend's daughter is lying. I provided current info regarding the shortage.

Nor will I even say you are definitely wrong. But, T titan2k10 , chill out.

Not even going to read. Well done wasting your time.

Back
Top Bottom