• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Interesting day in the stand today!

womsterr

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
18   0
Reaction score
I had a great day in the woods today boys. Nothing bagged, but say a couple does and the activity seems to really be picking up. Dropped a trail cam off so I can see when they are hitting the food plot.

When I got there I noticed a bunch of coyote scat in front of my stand.

The interesting part came when I heard what I thought was a very large deer coming my way shorty after the two does took off.

I stood there at the ready at dusk a couple minutes before sundown and suddenly heard a couple "roars" is the best I could describe it - not a lot of voice but a lot a breath with a some "whistle" in it is the best I can do to describe it. It then took off bashing through the woods breathing very heavily as it went. Must have been a big blackie. I did not expect to come across 35 miles north at ATL.

I always bring a sidearm - and this time i didn't of course.

Must have been a good size black bear

Hoping the weather will allow us to bag our first deer of the season this weekend. Good luck y'all!

Last edited:
Wow...that must have tightened your sphincter several notches. Yeah, bears are around...not many this close to ATL, but there are a few. A friend with a cabin up in Ellijay sees them constant...I mean walking through his front yard.

Them there bears are closer to suburbia than most think.
I saw one on Bell's Ferry just north of the bridge (where the marina is) once and I spotted one just outside of Jasper town limits on 53 along a power line right-of-way.

Hearing about them and actually experiencing them is a different thing. I am upping my side are to a 44mag due to the bears on the trail cam......

Yea you remember a few years ago one got run over right outside of town center mall on Barret Parkway! On a side note - there are so many coyotes it aint even funny! I heard one and then the ripple of howls...they were everywhere!

I don't know what's up with the 'yotes. I've seen several splatted on the road/road side lately. Gave'm credit for more sense than that. Oddly, the only bear I've seen was a big Blackie that loped across Fl. Hwy. 65 just in front of me a couple of years ago. I had just turned off Hwy. 98 in East Point, Fl., and could still see the ocean in the rear view mirror. He was headed straight to the Franklin County garbage dump on the other side. My daughter & son-in-law had the same problem this summer heading west on Hwy. 98 just outside of Apalachicola.

Back
Top Bottom