• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Input on Beginner Shotshell Reloading Presses

blakens

Default rank <15 posts
Outdoorsman
0   0
Reaction score
I planning on getting into reloading 12 and 16 ga shotshells. I want to try to keep it under $150 to start, so if that means I can only 12 ga for now, then that may be what I have to do. The two presses I'm considering right now are the Lee Load-All 2 and the MEC 600JR. So, pros and cons that I've come up with from doing some googling and youtubing (are those real words yet)

Lee Load-All 2
Pros: Cheap - Can get a new 12ga press and a 16ga conversion for $100 + shipping, inlcudes 24 shot and powder bushings
Easy to switch gauge (based on what I can see from YouTube)
Cons: Slow
Plastic parts (may break easily)
Overall construction looks less robust than other presses
Some say it throws shot and powder inconsitantly

MEC 600JR
Pros: Seem to last a long time/Sturdier construction
Some say it's quicker than the Lee
Cons: More expensive (Have seen used ones on Ebay for ~$100 + shipping, but only in one gauge and without extra charge bar, bushings)
Time consuming to switch gauge (some say it's worth it just to buy second press)

What are your thoughts, 2 cents, opinions, beliefs? I've search the forums here without any luck, but if you know of another thread that could help me, please feel free to direct me that way. Any help/info/input is appreciated. Thanks.

No experience with the LEE but love my Mec600 jr. And yes I would buy a second press before changing it over. 24 years going with the Mec. Good luck.

I have 2 9000 G Mec reloaders and they have worked flawless for years, yes the 9000s are way more expensive but if your going to load alot of shells its worth the wait,, keep in mind also with the price of lead these days you can fine cheaper shells that make it worth not realoding almost if you buy in bulk, when Dicks runs a special a couple times a year they sell Remingtons cheap, and Remington give you back 10 dollars a case in rebate,, i cant load them that cheap.. Good Luck

I like a lot of Lee stuff for metallic reloading, but from what I understand, the shotgun reloaders, is one that you want to stay away from. The MECs are built like tanks. I have a MEC 9000, grabber, & sizemaster. My brother has a 600jr. In my research, when I was beginning, one of the things I kept hearing was that the Lees were so much slower, & harder to operate. The price of the Lee was very tempting, but I decided to buy once & be done, and I have no regrets.

I've thought about shotgun shell reloading over the years, but every time I looked at it ... it actually cost more to reload than buy new!
Has this change?? Any numbers to support a "YES" answer?

This is my belief as well. What are the numbers?

you really can't produce the cheap "dove" type shells but for the $$ I think you get a better combination reloading

Yea, there's not much savings unless you buy in serious bulk. In fact, last dove season, I just bought a couple of cases instead of replenishing my reloading supplies. If you were to get into shot dropping, however, you could be looking at substantial savings in the long run, if you shoot a lot.

I have 4 mec presses and load .410, 20, and 12ga shells. I save a TON of money loading high brass steel shot loads for duck hunting. Also save a ton on .410 and 20ga. The 12ga field/skeet loads I save on but not a huge amount. Get a mec if your going to get a press.

I also think the Mec would be the way to go. I have a Mec 600 for loading 12g, although for normal shooting I can buy cheaper than load. I bought it so I can load low pressure loads to shoot some old shotguns I have...

Back
Top Bottom