• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Inherited Browning SA-22

fastzcar

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
6   0
Reaction score
My wife's uncle passed away and while they are firearm friendly, I'm the only one approaching gun nut in the family, and I've received a decent number of firearms that I have no history with at all.

One of these is a Browning SA22, in what I think is the Grade 1 finish. If I am reading the serial code correctly it's a 1978 model. It's complete except the rear sight was removed to mount a 3-7x20 scope at some point. It looks to have been well kept, finish is nice and bright with almost no wear and only 3-4 pencil tip sized pits on the underside of the muzzle.

Do I dare fire this without getting it checked over and cleaned and maybe running a bore scope thru it?

Also, any idea what the value is on something like this?

Browning SA-22? Semi-auto, .22LR, feeds through a tube in the side of the buttstock?

IMG_3003.jpeg

Correct. Typo

Honestly don’t see any issues with shooting a .22LR, but if you wanna be sure, bring it by TruPrep in Marietta while I’m there. I’m the Armorer/gunsmith, and I’m there most days except Thursday-Friday. I won’t charge you to give it a look over, and a professional opinion as to whether it is safe, or needs work.

As far as values go, completed sales on GB of the Japanese made SA-22s range from $450 - $600 for the ones in VG to Excellent condition. GB sales are plus tax, shipping and FFL transfer fees. MSRP on a new one is $799 and I believe they sell new retail for $699.
I would suggest purchasing the front sight just to you have it if you ever want to remove the scope and restore the rifle to original condition. Browning sells it online for $12.75. If they are out of stock, Art's is probably a good source for one: https://artsgunshop.com/

Back
Top Bottom