• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Indoor/Outdoor Range for practical drills?

Xavier

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
5   0
Reaction score
Hello All!

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, my apologies if it is not. Basically I am growing tired of shooting paper and standing still at traditional ranges. Every range I have been to only offers this.

I am also fairly new to shooting so maybe I am missing something, but I am looking for a facility where I can practice more realistic drills, like moving around, and firing at multiple targets. Does anyone have a place they can recommend?

I am near Metro Atlanta but I do not mind driving an hour or two if it is needed. Eventually I would like to get into 2 or 3 gun type competitions, so I just want to start heading in that direction. Thank you!

I'm building an outdoor range in City of South Fulton. Contractors started clearing last week and will (hopefully) be done in 2 more weeks. We have been hosting limited courses in the area we do have open, so if you want to come out let me know.

Our whole goal is to have a range people can move around and do practical training.

Check out South River Gun Club, Griffin Gun Club, and Riverbend Gun Club. All are outdoors and all require a membership.

I conduct training on a private, outdoor range in Cobb Co where most anything is doable.

Check out the schedule at GMSA.

They're near Toccoa so it's a bit of a drive for you, but they have monthly 'tactical' shoots, as well as IDPA, 3 gun, etc. The 'tactical' shoots are a good introduction to shooting and moving. There's mag changes, multiple targets at differing ranges, movements, etc.

www.gmsaclub.com.

There's a laser / training gun (only) shooting range
in Roswell/ Alpharetta / Woodstock area.
They can give you drills where you hold a real fire arm that's been modified to shoot a laser light and has a CO2 powered slide action to simulate at least modest recoil.
You watch a video on a set of three or four wide screens that form at 180° arc in front of you. When you see the threat, you can engage it with your simulated gun.
They can give you various scenarios including some with innocent bystanders near the line of fire or suspects that aren't actually a threat but appear suspicious enough that you might open fire on them if you're trigger-happy.
The bad guys in these videos can and do move, and you may also move a few yards in any direction to take cover as well.

If you are moderately skilled with your pistol, shooting stationary targets, and if you can reload your pistol from one or two spare magazines on your belt,
and if you have safe gun handling skills and maintain muzzle discipline and can follow the safety rules during a match, then there's no reason why you couldn't start doing pistol competitions like IDPA right now.

Lots of Indoor ranges have action pistol events once or twice a month, and that's usually the only time that shooters are allowed to engage multiple targets hung at different places in front of the backstop, and the only time shooters can move out of their designated lane and fire from both point A and point B.

Back
Top Bottom