In market for a new 4x4 Pickup - what brand?

The 2022 Tundra has been out since Nov 2021 and right now its a hot mess of issues... I was in the market for a full size truck and waiting for it to come out...I won't touch one for at least a few years if ever at this point. They are having plenty of turbo issues and other not typical toyota build quality issues with the new 2022.
The 2022 Tundra is definitely having issues with their turbos, and it is under warranty. Toyota boasts over a million miles of continuous testing.

Toyota proved that the same engine has a great track record in the Lexus LS since 2018 with the same twin turbo setup.

Toyota will get it sorted out. I’m not sure the same can be said of the big three auto makers

All brand loyalty aside, I’d still be hard pressed to buy any Covid year vehicles from 2020-2022 (and possibly next year) because of quality control, supply chain issues etc. Too many stories of trucks sitting in lots for months waiting on chips, parts, etc…not to mention the quality of labor available during this time frame. Buy used (if you can find anything) or wait it out (assuming things get better).

All brand loyalty aside, I’d still be hard pressed to buy any Covid year vehicles from 2020-2022 (and possibly next year) because of quality control, supply chain issues etc. Too many stories of trucks sitting in lots for months waiting on chips, parts, etc…not to mention the quality of labor available during this time frame. Buy used (if you can find anything) or wait it out (assuming things get better).
Very good point. I remember a few months ago when I saw a video that showed hundreds of F150”s just sitting For weeks because of chip shortages. I thought to myself how many electrical problems they may have due to rodents chewing on things

Have a 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali crew cab with the 10 speed transmission and the 6.2 l engine. Have about 46K miles on it and never had any issues. Round trip to St. Marks, FL gets me 20+ mpg. If I fill up before I leave Cumming, I don't need gas again till I am in St. Marks

I don't have ownership experience with every truck out there, but I have test driven or rented most them within the last 3 yrs.

I went with the Tundra, currently have a 2018 TRD Off Road Crew cab 4x4 with a bit over 90k miles with no issues. Gas mileage isn't great, but it's not terrible. I can get 18mpg out of it depending on how I drive. The only truck with more interior space is the Ram Megacab. Also has 38 gal fuel tank, not 26 like earlier yr models.

The only other trucks I gave serious consideration after driving were Ram 1500 and Tacoma. I've tried to like Ford and GM's trucks, but all it takes is a few miles of driving one and all remember all the reasons I don't like them.

I ruled out the Ram mostly due to the radio volume knob style gear shift that seems to be on all the new 1500s. And the fact that it won't shift out of park with the door open.

I really liked the Tacoma until I drove one in the highway. I would assume they fixed the issue on the newer ones, but the 2019 I drove was changing gears a lot more than it should have been and could not maintain speed on hills with cruise set. Supposedly you could get the ECU flashed to fix it as it was a common issue with the transmission. I also wasn't a fan of not being able to adjust driver seat height, which I think they only changed on 2020 and newer models. And at nearly the same price as a comparably equipped Tundra, it just didn't make sense to me to go Tacoma. Gas mileage wasn't any better than the Tundra either.

I could elaborate on what I didn't like about F-150s, GMs, and Titans, but this is already longer than I intended so I'll just leave it alone.

My 21’ Ram 1500 (4x4, Crew Cab, Limited Trim) gets avg 30-34mpg on the highway depending on the trip. I disagree with your fuel mileage statement.
33gal tank and 3.93 gears I get about 800 miles to the tank with mixed Hwy and city driving and over 1000 when it’s all interstate..
what size engine? i drive a 2018 Ram with the 5.7 all highway miles and never get over 21 mpg.

I don't have ownership experience with every truck out there, but I have test driven or rented most them within the last 3 yrs.

I went with the Tundra, currently have a 2018 TRD Off Road Crew cab 4x4 with a bit over 90k miles with no issues. Gas mileage isn't great, but it's not terrible. I can get 18mpg out of it depending on how I drive. The only truck with more interior space is the Ram Megacab. Also has 38 gal fuel tank, not 26 like earlier yr models.

The only other trucks I gave serious consideration after driving were Ram 1500 and Tacoma. I've tried to like Ford and GM's trucks, but all it takes is a few miles of driving one and all remember all the reasons I don't like them.

I ruled out the Ram mostly due to the radio volume knob style gear shift that seems to be on all the new 1500s. And the fact that it won't shift out of park with the door open.

I really liked the Tacoma until I drove one in the highway. I would assume they fixed the issue on the newer ones, but the 2019 I drove was changing gears a lot more than it should have been and could not maintain speed on hills with cruise set. Supposedly you could get the ECU flashed to fix it as it was a common issue with the transmission. I also wasn't a fan of not being able to adjust driver seat height, which I think they only changed on 2020 and newer models. And at nearly the same price as a comparably equipped Tundra, it just didn't make sense to me to go Tacoma. Gas mileage wasn't any better than the Tundra either.

I could elaborate on what I didn't like about F-150s, GMs, and Titans, but this is already longer than I intended so I'll just leave it alone.
2022 Taco transmission shifts great.
I looked at Tundra, but they are just too big for I need a truck for. Lots of room, though.

Back
Top Bottom