If You Carry Know Your Laws! (FAQ)

Negative. In fact my wife does not have to get a GWL as she is active duty military. Her ID does not only serve as a GWL but also grants her immunity to several of the "cannot carry here" clauses.

I am referring to myself not being able to get one because per the law, it does not cover me at all. I was reading some old unofficial opinion paper from the state attorney in 1997 and he said that probate courts MAY grant licenses to military family members on pretty much based off the probate courts decision that they have or havent established residency in Georgia. I would go ask on GeorgiaPacking but I am not really welcome there because of anatomy jokes.

I am about to just start a Florida nonresident package and give my money to them instead.

Last edited:
I think you have GCO confused with another site as you can't blog on that site.

As for carry you can carry in GA on you military ID, and carry in places that I can't.

I think you have GCO confused with another site as you can't blog on that site.

As for carry you can carry in GA on you military ID, and carry in places that I can't.

Yeah I meant Georgia packing. :doh:

My wife can. I wonder if I could if I just shaved my beard and cut my hair a little bit. Still have my military ID. lol (yes I am just kidding)

Yup going to start working on that Florida nonresident paperwork now...

Not side track the thread. But is there *any* military commander in the state of Georgia that authorizes or allows their folks to CCW - with *only* their military ID?!

And by that I mean either on, and or off the installation. I don't think so, but would love to hear different. Obviously I am not talking about Army CID / similar types.

Not side track the thread. But is there *any* military commander in the state of Georgia that authorizes or allows their folks to CCW - with *only* their military ID?!

And by that I mean either on, and or off the installation. I don't think so, but would love to hear different. Obviously I am not talking about Army CID / similar types.

GA law doesn't require concealed carry, it can be carried openly. On base is one thing(most in GA don't allow carry), off base, active military can carry without a license in GA. I know folks that carry that way as GA law allows it.

I have never heard of any instance where a base commander allowed any type of *private* carry on base. I did not think they have that authority.

Hell I was stationed in AZ (one of the most gun friendly places) and had to kind of grit my teeth each time I left my...carry gear in the car when I went through the gate (to be fair that whole "No guns on fed property" is a pretty idiotic and lame law that allows things like ft hood to happen). If there is one thing the modern military likes to do it is nit pick on stupid rules. I believe this is one of them so would not expect any leniency on carrying on base.

Last edited:
Can you cite the Georgia (or Federal Law) that would allow a military member to Open Carry off post without a Georgia CCW permit ? That is while off duty not on duty and acting in the scope of that duty.

I have never heard of any exceptions in this matter. To the best of my knowledge, to open or concealed carry in Georgia you must have a Georgia CCW permit or have a reciprocal state CCW permit. It would be very interesting to learn of exceptions to this.

Regards,
Rob

GA law doesn't require concealed carry, it can be carried openly. On base is one thing(most in GA don't allow carry), off base, active military can carry without a license in GA. I know folks that carry that way as GA law allows it.

Can you cite the Georgia (or Federal Law) that would allow a military member to Open Carry off post without a Georgia CCW permit ? That is while off duty not on duty and acting in the scope of that duty.

I have never heard of any exceptions in this matter. To the best of my knowledge, to open or concealed carry in Georgia you must have a Georgia CCW permit or have a reciprocal state CCW permit. It would be very interesting to learn of exceptions to this.

Regards,
Rob

Sure: http://www.gacarry.org/cms/ga-code-detail/?title=16&chapter=11&section=130

Edit: It's not a CCW it's a GWL. And yes you must have one to open or conceal carry UNLESS you are on the list in that link.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom