• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I was unprepared when the SHTF

see, didnt I just put that in my response to "no gold, silver etc bartering" lol . Im telling you, TP, Alcohol (vodka etc) and wet wipes will be valuable. If you have a Publix nearby, they do 1c items on thursday's, last week was TP ! I made several $10 purchases and bought 4 4pks of TP for 4c apiece, now they are in the garage for consumption.

Almost thought that said constipation.

My wife and I have always laughed at people that run to the grocery and buy all the milk and bread anytime snow is forecast in North Georgia. When snow and sleet was forecast during the Christmas to New Years Holidays in 2010 my wife was in Los Angeles, so I checked to make sure I had plenty of food, bought several cases of bottled water, gas for the generator and moved firewood onto the covered screen porch. I was ready to settle down and enjoy watching a week of football on television. We got rain, then sleet, then snow and my yard as well as the street turned into an ice-coated slide that was almost impossible to walk across without falling. The steep hills on either side of my driveway claimed a number of cars that made it up part way and then slid back down out of control.

The first night I realized I was in bad trouble. I used the last of the toilet paper on the roll. I checked in the pantry and discovered we were out of toilet paper. Not panicing, I checked our paper napkins--only two napkins and only a couple of paper towels. I ran back to the bathroom to search for Kleenex--no luck. I realized the seriousness of the situation now. I knew we had no corn cobs so a difficult choice faced me. I was left with a choice of manning-up and using pine cones or using my left hand like our fine friends in the Mid East. I searched the house for a substitute for TP to no avail. Snow and sleet were still falling the next day and it became apparent that I was isolated for a few days and SOL. I set out to walk the 300 yards to my shop. I fell once going down the steps and another time on the pavement by my shop door. After a brief search for a TP substitute, a pristine 2 year old copy of the Atlanta Journal Constipation was discovered in the bottom of a box. I don't read the Constipation--this was a complimentary copy that was left in our driveway a couple of years earlier. This is the first time I have ever enjoyed using the Atlanta paper. I even enjoyed Cynthia Tuckers column. The AJC truely saved my arse.

I can't afford to accumulate silver and gold for when SHTF but I will always have plenty of extra TP on hand. Might even trade a roll for some silver or gold.

Unfortunately I'm in the same situation as far as silver and gold. But the point you are making is very true. It is the little things that will mean a lot. I can't believe that I just now am starting to work on my first aid supplies. According to a number of surveys only one in every four Americans has a first aid kit of some kind.

A terrible waste of good toilet paper.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/2...rge-number-islamic-religious/?test=latestnews

When I taught in a public school in Florida the school system used a cheap grade of single ply toilet paper. It was thisk, slick and hard and smeared rather than wiping things off. The faculty members said they thought it was made from recycled wax paper. The students called it John Wayne Toilet Paper (John Wayne didn't take any crap off anybody). I preferred the brown paper towels.

When times get tough .22 ammo would be a better barter item than a gold coin IMHO.

I have a friend that has some kind of engineering degree that has to do with plumbing. He has designed plumbing systems for Disney world and other large attractions. He once told me that the cheaper paper is better for the plumbing system.

Back
Top Bottom