• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I want to shoot the Tactical Games or another run-gun. I have a year to get ready

steviesterno

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
71   0
Reaction score
typical suburban dad, put on a little covid weight, got a lot of it off but some more to do. I'm currently doing 5x5 and have a garage gym I'm in 3 days a week. Hadn't lifted since college but making decent gains in weight over the last few months.

My cardio sucks. I don't like to run but also want to get ready for a fun-run.

I can ruck and hike, we do a few 3+ milers every week (my kids have tiny legs) and I get at least 4 miles walking in wooded trails during a regular work day.

I have ~25 pounds I think I'd like to lose to hit my goal weight. Have gotten close to my goal weight with keto, but honestly since lifting (and a really terrible last year) I'm a bit over where I want to be.

I'm willing to cut back on carbs, cut out (most) alcohol, and start training more aggressively. What else do I need to be doing to get into "good enough" shape for a 40 year old to compete in the old man division? I'm a former semi-pro 3 gun shooter so I'm pretty comfy with that aspect but have a lot to go on the fitness side of things.

You will be fine in one years time. If I were you, and really was going to do a year of preparation, I would do what nobody wants to do:
  • For the first six months:180 minus your age is your maximum HR. Go out and run a minimum of 4 days a week and never exceed that HR. This will be painfully slow...likely your mile pace will be in the teens. Then it will begin to come down month by month at the exact same max HR as your aerobic fitness increases. This is very important for RnGs because running a 9 minute mile at 140 bpm and a 9 minute mile at 180 bpm are two very different things once you have to start shooting. After you have done this for 6 months, I would mix in a variety of speed work on one of your 4 running days. The other 3 days you need to remain at your 180-age HR level.
  • For the first six months: I would never open my mouth while running. All your breathing should be through your nose. Again, this will be very slow at first, but you have the time to make this work. Why does this help? Because if you can run like this, quickly, you are far more relaxed, your HR will stay low so that you can shoot well AND you will retain 60%+ more water. Once you are done with 6 months of HR and breathing training and you move to adding in some speedwork, you can open your mouth to breath at paces above the nasal breathing comfort level.
Why doesn't everyone do this? The answer is simple, most don't have the patience.
There is no other method at your age that will get you farther, while remaining healthy in one years time.

I would also only run in Altra's, but that's a whole other post....

Listen to Burdy, this man finishes top 10 at most of these events. We’ve got people that walk the whole thing to some that blast through it at ridiculous speeds. Score is 50 run 50 shoot.

Other thing I would note: a positive attitude is a must. Go to have fun and to learn. Do what you can, see what works and what doesn’t for you. It’s a different animal than 3 gun. As for shooters, there are some top ranked people shooting these things, very few (depending on event) clean all the stages, saying all that to say, 1st event - have fun and learn, don’t go into it to win it. We’ve got active SF guys running these events that finish mid pack. Do your best absolutely, have fun, meet some awesome people, and learn.

typical suburban dad, put on a little covid weight, got a lot of it off but some more to do. I'm currently doing 5x5 and have a garage gym I'm in 3 days a week. Hadn't lifted since college but making decent gains in weight over the last few months.

I can ruck and hike, we do a few 3+ milers every week (my kids have tiny legs) and I get at least 4 miles walking in wooded trails during a regular work day.

I have ~25 pounds I think I'd like to lose to hit my goal weight. Have gotten close to my goal weight with keto, but honestly since lifting (and a really terrible last year) I'm a bit over where I want to be.

I'm willing to cut back on carbs, cut out (most) alcohol, and start training more aggressively. What else do I need to be doing to get into "good enough" shape for a 40 year old to compete in the old man division? I'm a former semi-pro 3 gun shooter so I'm pretty comfy with that aspect but have a lot to go on the fitness side of things.
The OSS Challenge is just the practice/test run for you to get an idea where you stand physically. It's plenty physical but short in duration. Mixture of short run, rope, sand bags, rescue dummy. Small in scale, very personal. There are competitors of varying fitness levels. If your were a 3 gunner, the shooting won't be too challenging, but challenging enough.

The OSS Challenge is just the practice/test run for you to get an idea where you stand physically. It's plenty physical but short in duration. Mixture of short run, rope, sand bags, rescue dummy. Small in scale, very personal. There are competitors of varying fitness levels. If your were a 3 gunner, the shooting won't be too challenging, but challenging enough.
I've shot one of your events, I would agree. It's like a mini RNG, perfect as a first event.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Thanks yeah I saw the one just posted but that timeline doesn’t work for me. If there’s one next spring I’ll see what I can do about giving it a go.

You will be fine in one years time. If I were you, and really was going to do a year of preparation, I would do what nobody wants to do:
  • For the first six months:180 minus your age is your maximum HR. Go out and run a minimum of 4 days a week and never exceed that HR. This will be painfully slow...likely your mile pace will be in the teens. Then it will begin to come down month by month at the exact same max HR as your aerobic fitness increases. This is very important for RnGs because running a 9 minute mile at 140 bpm and a 9 minute mile at 180 bpm are two very different things once you have to start shooting. After you have done this for 6 months, I would mix in a variety of speed work on one of your 4 running days. The other 3 days you need to remain at your 180-age HR level.
  • For the first six months: I would never open my mouth while running. All your breathing should be through your nose. Again, this will be very slow at first, but you have the time to make this work. Why does this help? Because if you can run like this, quickly, you are far more relaxed, your HR will stay low so that you can shoot well AND you will retain 60%+ more water. Once you are done with 6 months of HR and breathing training and you move to adding in some speedwork, you can open your mouth to breath at paces above the nasal breathing comfort level.
Why doesn't everyone do this? The answer is simple, most don't have the patience.
There is no other method at your age that will get you farther, while remaining healthy in one years time.

I would also only run in Altra's, but that's a whole other post....
VERY interesting. I went die hard 4 years ago (43). Mapped a 3 mile loop with 300’ elevation change. Did it religiously every day. Went from walking to some jogging to jogging to 10 minute miles. It took FOREVER. I was in great shape but never paid attention to HR. Is the HR factor more related to health/heart care Burdy Burdy or for the shooting aspect of the challenge? Assuming the shooting.

And good for you brother. I need to get back after it. Alcohol is my Achilles heel.

Tactical games is a lot of fun. I would not recommend for your first event. Definitely requires a high level of fitness to be competitive in it. Now that’s just me I’m aiming for top 3. If you’re more in it for fun then it’s a great time with cool ppl. Just depends on your motivation.

Back
Top Bottom