• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

I think my chicken froze to death

I am nowhere near an expert, but have kept chickens for about 20 years. What works for me is a roosting box with 4 sides and a waterproof roof. A door maybe 12" X 14" cut in one end of the box and perches made from forearm size hardwood limbs, these are nailed into the sides and are located away from the door. I have a separate nesting box for them.
They really like sleeping on a perch and I leave enough room so they have several inches from their head to the roof when they are roosting. Have yet to lose one to cold with this setup, but a rat snake did kill one one night, caught it a few minutes too late.

I have often wondered why you almost never see a dead wild bird in the woods after a brutal cold weather system blows through.

Went out to feed and water my chickens and one was dead and stiff as a board. They are Rhode Island reds and supposedly do very well in much colder weather. Coop is open other than an igloo doghouse I put in last winter. For some reason only one bird gets in it and the other 5 sleep on a stand I built for a 50 gallon water drum. The dead one appears to have bedded down on the ground last night (a first) and froze. Any input on why she would just sit there and freeze?
Ask the other chickens what happened.

maybe someone choked it?
Muppets Critics 2.gif

Back
Top Bottom