I just joined a cult

DADI03

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
97   0
Reaction score
I got a big green egg for my birthday from an awesome woman. My maiden voyage with it will be a couple of butts. This is the first time l will have ever used one. I'm open to any tips or suggestions. I.E. temps, times, seasonigs. I've cooked butt before. All l normally do is pan sear it with a salt then smoke it for about 4 to 6 hours. Thanks

I got a big green egg for my birthday from an awesome woman. My maiden voyage with it will be a couple of butts. This is the first time l will have ever used one. I'm open to any tips or suggestions. I.E. temps, times, seasonigs. I've cooked butt before. All l normally do is pan sear it with a salt then smoke it for about 4 to 6 hours. Thanks
I wish I had known!! I have been smoking on a Komata for over 30 years..Mine I have rebuilt several times, it is Clay not the fancy stuff they have now..Mine can't go higher than 300 degrees or it will crack..Yours will take a much higher heat..I believe in low and slow..Lump charcoal and a electric hoop element to start the coal with is key..Having an out side temp gauge and an internal temp gauge for the meat is key....Your gonna have fun!!

Use a plate setter or similar to cook indirect. Use a meat thermometer to continuously monitor internal pork temperature, and keep the lid closed!

No need to pan sear with a Kamado.

Sent from my Droid Turbo using TapaTalk

Oh, and I would get a few cooks under my belt before cooking a couple of shoulders. I like to make sure my grill is seasoned first and you will learn how to tweak the upper and lower dampers for a steady temperature.

You can slow cook'em at 200 to 225 till internal temp is 200+....or do the same with 350 Deg to same temp.
I like to rub olive oil on them before I dry rub with a good butt rub...I also like to mop them with vinegar every hour or two. The last hour or two I wrap in foil.

Biggest thing I have learned is to cook them to at least 195...preferably 200+ internal temp...and then wrap in foil, put in cooler and wait at least an hour. I used to pull them off at 170 and try to cut them up right off the egg. Way better at higher temp and letting rest in cooler.

Use a plate setter or similar to cook indirect. Use a meat thermometer to continuously monitor internal pork temperature, and keep the lid closed!

No need to pan sear with a Kamado.

What's a plate setter?

It's a ceramic device to hold a drip pan & raise your grill. I use a pizza stone with some DIY wire hangers in my Kamado, but I'm using a steel Kamado, not a BGE.

Back
Top Bottom