• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I got lost this morning!

A couple of years ago bringing my climber down a tree in the evening, a mist came up before I got down. I found what I thought was the trail by a stream I'd followed walking in... an hour later I realized that the stream forked and I'd been following the wrong branch. It was a bowel loosening moment for me. I had no gps, no cell phone signal and like an idiot I'd left my compass back in the truck. Not a pleasant memory.

I generally have a GPS, but mine bit the dust since last deer season.

I don’t care to use them on public property, just gives everyone else a map to my stand. LoL
I've used them for many years on public land and never had a problem. Of course I hunt deeper than most folks will go and place them far enough apart that unless you know what you're looking for they are easy to miss.

Im here now aint I, so never got lost . Had to find my way a few times. Exhausting!!! Had a co worker invite me to his land. I marked the way in with some glow in the dark thumb tacks the day before. Went in, climbed a tree, mid day, got down and walked around a bit. I never was able to find that stand. Had to go back the next day and follow my way again to find it. On my property, I would mark the deer trails with survey tape as high on the tree as I could reach, I would then place my stand about 40 yds off the trail. It helped in low light to focus my attention past the brush that was nearer . I was ribbed about marking the trails for the deer. "You afraid they gonna get lost"?

I got turned around a couple times over the years in the AM. Now I use those reflective thumbtacks and the rope that you connect to from ground to stand has reflective stuff in it too.

I shot a doe right before dark several years ago and she ran into some planted pines, it was 11pm when I got back to the 4 wheeler and I never found the doe. I crossed the blood trail half a dozen times trying to find my way out of there. Now I carry spare flash light with me for when the batteries die

Back
Top Bottom