• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

I finally got to shoot at 1000 yards.

kuduman

Default rank <4000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
51   0
Reaction score
Here in Texas. That's a hoot. Took three shots to get the windage right (fortunately, the wind was not gusty), and the nice dirt berm made it easy to see misses via scope, as I have no spotter. Muzzle brakes are a good thing, as they really simplify that. With the 6.5 which is naked, I have to be quick to reacquire the target. It could really use a brake, too.

In short order, I moved from the silhouette to whacking the 12" gong, and with both a .308 and 6.5x284. No sweat. Of course... it took a long time to get to where it's "no sweat"-- loading, chronoing, leveling, buying the right rests, etc.

I tried their one-mile range, but the wind had turned gusty, and without a spotter, no joy there. I guess that gives me a new goal, now that I've "done" one thousand.

Here in Texas. That's a hoot. Took three shots to get the windage right (fortunately, the wind was not gusty), and the nice dirt berm made it easy to see misses via scope, as I have no spotter. Muzzle brakes are a good thing, as they really simplify that. With the 6.5 which is naked, I have to be quick to reacquire the target. It could really use a brake, too.

In short order, I moved from the silhouette to whacking the 12" gong, and with both a .308 and 6.5x284. No sweat. Of course... it took a long time to get to where it's "no sweat"-- loading, chronoing, leveling, buying the right rests, etc.

I tried their one-mile range, but the wind had turned gusty, and without a spotter, no joy there. I guess that gives me a new goal, now that I've "done" one thousand.

What range were you at, at what town is it close to? I’m near Ft Hood, dead center in the middle of the greatness that is Texas. Just about anywhere is within driving distance. Except Big Bend, or the panhandle. That’s vacation drive distances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's an addicting world. Welcome to the deep end.

Congrats!

Sounds like a bunch of fun. I sent my form to Ft Gordon - hope to shoot on their 1,000 yard range one day...600yds at CMP is the farthest I've ever shot.

What range were you at, at what town is it close to? I’m near Ft Hood, dead center in the middle of the greatness that is Texas. Just about anywhere is within driving distance. Except Big Bend, or the panhandle. That’s vacation drive distances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reveille Peak Range. Nice folks. Kinda pricey, but good facility.

Congrats!

Sounds like a bunch of fun. I sent my form to Ft Gordon - hope to shoot on their 1,000 yard range one day...600yds at CMP is the farthest I've ever shot.

Thanks. When I was in GA... CMP and Gunsite Hills were as far as I'd ever shot. Out here though, there are multiple 1000+ yard ranges within an hour or so of Austin.

Back
Top Bottom