• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

"Hybrid" kydex iwb holsters

thesammythecurse

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
4   0
Reaction score
As a noob to firearms, I have been trying to decide what sort of holster to go with for CCW (at least for my first, for an SR9c). These Hybrids have drawn my attention. No matter the brand, almost everyone says it's the best they have used, and all brands are generally the same as far as feel goes.

I came across "Foxx Holsters" which is by far the cheapest in this bunch, at $39 shipped. "lifetime warranty" and a few youtu be reviews give it good feedback. The kydex can be loose on some I've seen, but Foxx Holsters recommends using a heat gun to adjust the retention. The other thing that has drawn me to them besides the price, is I keep reading they will have the holster to your door in a week or so, whereas every other big name has a 4-8 week wait.

Anyway, I was curious to see if anyone had been using this one, or any other hybrid style. In addition, would you guys recommend horse hide for the GA summer? Or is cow hide really not that big of a deal?

Comp Tac minotaur. You can thank me later. Clydes armory in Athens stocks them i know. I have tried multiple holsters over the past few years for my Glocks and this is by far one of the very best. Not to mention you can buy different kydex "bodies" for other gun models and keep the same holster

I got several of the hybreds style holsters

Thesis very good no complaints

Cross breed very good no complaints.

Comptac ok keeps adjusting moving to new location and actually fell out on 2 occasions (holster and gun)

Foxx breed good holster, leather is to thick takes forever to get comfortable

Best holster maker so far is Waynes creations out of texas. He spends the most time prepping the leather than the others I have seen.

Kydex retention on all are great never a problem. I have yet need to adjust one.

Last edited:
Holsters (like the guns that go in them) are like shoes in that no one can necessarily tell you which one will "fit" you best.

Just like the comments above different people have different preferences. But also like the above posts, many people who are committed to regularly carrying a medium to full sized gun have found success w/ an IWB style holster.

I've been carrying a G-19 or 23 IWB for over 20 years. I carry every single day, all day as my friends & students will confirm.

Many people prefer the Comp-Tac, Crossbreed, Old Faithful, Theis, Foxx, Galco Kingtuk, Desantis Intruder, etc. style holster.
My personal favorite for year-round carry is the Comp-Tac CTAC. For me, the leather backing against my skin in the humid summer sweated too much when on the range teaching, weedeating, or other outdoor activity.

While expensive, trial & error still seems to be the best method for selecting what works best for you.
But at least w/ the ODT, now there is the option of at least recouping most of your cost out of the ones that don't work by selling it on here vs. the old days of just throwing it in a box w/ the rest of the ones that didn't work out.

I'm more fond of iwb and prefer a leather holster to kydex for comfort. I really like the tagua iwb line. The belt clip is made of some stout ass metal and does not easily come undone. I have to clip it in my pants, and then run my belt through it it's that tight. THe problem with kydex holsters is there are hundreds of basement level gunsmiths with their hands on blue guns and some heatguns making holsters thinking their product is better than the next guy.

Do yourself a favor and not get TOO caught up on cost. I understand its a factor, but a good holster is almost as important as your carry selection.

Think of areas that you may "waste" $75 and apply that towards the difference.

Many here will tell you the same story (myself included). I went thru MANY variants until I learned that $$$ means quality.

I use a R Grizzle for my 1911 carry and a custom Kydex for my 19.

Good luck.

In holsters like many other things in life, you typically get what you pay for.
There are a few "good buys" but most of the time minimum cost equals minimum performance, minimum retention/fit, and minimum comfort.

Swift Draw Holsters hands down. Been wearing mine every day with my XDs and never had a problem. Super comfortable and high quality. Order it on a Tuesday and had in on Friday, plus being military they gave me 10% off. For around $50 that I spent I cant be happier. http://www.swiftdrawholsters.com/

Back
Top Bottom