• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

How to take payment for a big sale?

Sold a car a couple of years ago for 20K cash. Buyer arrived at my bank, we did the bill of sale, he turned over the 20K and I made a deposit. It was cash so there were papers but they ran all the 100 dollar bills through their counter (which detects counterfeits) and I had the money in my account then. No worry about counterfeit or being ripped off. Buyer looked the car over and left the money and his wife with my wife while we went for a test drive. 1942 Ford Fordor street rod. Still miss it.

I'm selling an RV (listed here for $14,900). The market is hot so we have a few people coming to look at it just after listing it on FB. I haven't sold anything this big in a long time, LOL. My question is, what's the best way to take payment?

Cash seems problematic because of possible counterfeit and one buyer already said he doesn't want to show up with that much cash. I heard cashiers checks can be forged. Do we just need to meet the buyer at the bank?

Thanks in advance, ODT.

Do it at the buyers banking institution. Have him withdraw the $ and get a bank certified check. No chance of fraud.

I sold a travel trailer two years ago for similar amount. I met buyer at his bank and watched him withdraw/receive the cash from a teller. Deal done there at bank and bank manager notarized our documents.

Back
Top Bottom