How to remove A2 front sight/gas block on LCAR?

GeauxLSU

Default rank 5000+ posts
Corn Pop
Staff member
Super Moderator
63   0
Reaction score
Where the stars at night are big and bright.
Ok, I have (access to) a DPMS LCAR. The pins holding the gas block/sight are not cooperating and appear 'different'. Meaning, they are rounded on both sides (no big deal) but BOTH sides appear to be bigger than the hole. Yes one side is bigger than the other but again both sides appear to be too big to go through the hole. Might be an optical illusion. They got beat on hard enough that I was afraid collateral damage may ensue. The person doing this had changed a good variety of these on different makes and models but this was a first. Of course, nobody answers at DPMS (Remington) customer service.
So, what gives? :confused:

I dealt with this a few weeks ago, no idea if what I did is proper but it worked. I used a dremel and cut the block just deep enough to use a chisel and crack the block which relieved the pressure then I drove the pins out and installed a low pro block. It worked but doubt it was standard operating procedure.

Haven't dealt with that specific one, but in generalities:

Kroil
Heat on the gas block
Starter punch or a domed punch on small side
Very solid, preferably steel work base
If you have to hit it harder, you need a bigger hammer. I've used a 4 lb to get some of them started.
These are sometimes pressed in, and can be a pain in the azz to get moving.

Haven't dealt with that specific one, but in generalities:

Kroil
Heat on the gas block
Starter punch or a domed punch on small side
Very solid, preferably steel work base
If you have to hit it harder, you need a bigger hammer. I've used a 4 lb to get some of them started.
These are sometimes pressed in, and can be a pain in the azz to get moving.
We did try kroil (and used domed punches) but not heat.

Another trick....throw it in the freezer for an hour, then apply heat to the gas block. Try to direct the heat away from the pins. Butane torch is good for applying the heat.

All good advice. Feel free to bring it to me and I’ll remove it while you wait.

Is it being removed so that a free float handguard can be installed?

Back
Top Bottom