• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

How to remove a broken bolt in manifold?

BamaFan

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
340   0
Reaction score
My son has an 1988 F-150 and the thermostat failed. Went to replace it and one of the bolts is easily accessible but was hard as heck to get out (I don't think it's ever been out). The other bolt is almost impossible to access but I was able to get a wrench on it and promptly shear the bolt head off. So now I'm wondering if there's a better tool than an easy out type extractor to try to get the bolt out. There is maybe 1/4" nub hanging out but no real way to get any leverage with vise grips, etc. Just wondering if there is a magic trick I'm not aware of... What say you grease monkeys of the ODT?

Welding a nut on the stud usually works for me. Heating the stud and spraying it with a penetrating oil and working it back and fourth with vice grips. But as you stated it’s always in a tight spot.

Soak the heck out of it with some type of penetrating oil. If you can get to it, grind a flat grove in the nub that a good size flat head screwdriver will fit in and back it out that way. If you soak it and then ping it ( hit it with something like driving a nail) and let it sit, you should be able to back it out.

Just remembered , the last one I did I used an air hammer and screw knocker .

1030 at night, truck had to roll before dawn. I had drill, bits, and some torx bits with me. The bits are hardened, so I drilled a slightly undersized hole, using lots of penetrating oil. Put my screw knocker in my rivet gun using a torx I beat in the hole, and started teasing the trigger. Rocked it back and forth and got it out rather quickly.

I was mainly using tools I had on hand and I was used to using. It could have easily gone bad, but it worked that night.

https://www.autotoolworld.com/Brown...erm=4585238368591926&utm_content=All Products

Back
Top Bottom