• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How to make 300 Black Out Brass

Just looking into the 300 myself. I purchased one of the harbor freight saws a few years back to cut my arrows with so now i have another use for it. It also works well on golf club shafts. I bought some of the 3" cutoff wheels to use on it instead of the metal blade. They are really too big for the guard on the saw, but work well for cutting.

The annealing might be a good idea. Factory brass is annealed on the neck to make the brass more flexible in lieu of being brittle. You are cutting off the annealed part when making this brass and might good so it doesn't crack for reloads.

Rosewood

Anyone else think the better method to get 300blk casing is to buy it from a mass producer? I.e east coast arsenal.

I gave up after my first batch of 300. It was a mortifying process for me. 8 hours of cutting, form, and trimming was quite painful.

Good write-up though.

I just finished my first 1000k converted brass. I'm done with that crap. It took me almost a month spending an hour here and an hour there. Not worth it when I can get 1k of already processed brass for $150 or whatever it cost

A word of caution to people loading 300 Blackout in .223 or 5.56 head stamped brass... If you load a 300 BO round in a magazine full of .223 the rifle will push the bullet into the case and go into full battery. When you pull the trigger the gun will explode in your hands... I personally would find other ways of saving money.

A word of caution to people loading 300 Blackout in .223 or 5.56 head stamped brass... If you load a 300 BO round in a magazine full of .223 the rifle will push the bullet into the case and go into full battery. When you pull the trigger the gun will explode in your hands... I personally would find other ways of saving money.
I see your point, it's pretty dang noticeable to me the difference in a short fat 208gr bullet and a tall skinny 55gr bullet though. Guess some people just get in too big of a rush and don't pay attention to what they are doing.

You are correct saw this happen twice at CHARLIE ELLIOTT, once at TRADING PLACE INDOOR RANGE, so saving money may not be the best way to go.

Short cuts end up in short pay or (even explosions).

We only use 300AAC HEAD STAMPED BRASS....................

You are correct saw this happen twice at CHARLIE ELLIOTT, once at TRADING PLACE INDOOR RANGE, so saving money may not be the best way to go.

Short cuts end up in short pay or (even explosions).

We only use 300AAC HEAD STAMPED BRASS....................

Use different magazine colors for the different calibers. Double check. Remove unmatching ammo. I even have a 300 BLK etched dust cover.

Carelessness lead to chambering 223 in 300 BLK.

there are lots of calibers that are similar that may/may not chamber in the wrong caliber rifles.

I agree the best option for those that have both is to have one set of magazines that are very different from your everyday AR magazines (i.e. if you normally run Magpul mags, use brownells for the 300, or maybe black for standard and FDE for 300, or windowed for 300, etc). I think that would be a good option. any time you are shooting both calibers, make sure that ALL USERS are aware of the difference between the two...

I only have 300BO headstamp brass for now, but I could see getting some converted brass at some point but would take appropriate safeguards to make sure that wouldn't happen to me.

same reason I don't convert some of my 32-20 brass into 218 Bee. I want the right headstamp on my brass. Not so much for me but if anything happens to me I don't want someone else getting hurt because they can't recognize the difference by looking at the whole cartridge and not the headstamp.

Back
Top Bottom