• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How to get your C&R 03 FFL

NWSharpshooter

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
563   0
Reaction score
So you think you want to get your 03 C&R FFL. First lets get some things straight.

At the time of this writing an 03 C&R FFL is good for three years
At the time of this writing the fee for an 03 C&R FFL is $30.00 for three years
You will need to notify the CLEO in your area that you are applying for a C&R FFL. You do not need to get their approval, you just need to notify them that you are doing so.
C&R is nothing more than a way to facilitate collecting.
You may have certain firearms shipped to your C&R FFL address, just like a FFL business.
The easy definition is firearms that are 50 years old or more.
-There are also some collectible firearms allowed.
You can write to the ATF asking them to determine a firearm a C&R.
-It looks a little difficult; requiring you to demonstrate why the firearm is collectible.
It is not a business.
-It MAY NOT be a business or it will be taken away from you.
If you can own a gun you can get a C&R license.
The ATF determines who may have a C&R.
-Cities have little to no say in whether you may get one.
It does require you to keep a logbook.
-You must record EVERY C&R purchase.
You don't have to record non C&R firearms purchases in your C&R bound book.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So if you are good with all that, let's get started

First you will need to head over to the ATF website and download the forms found here.

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5310-16-notice.html

You will need to download and print the two forms listed on this page. They are as follows.

ATF form 5310.16 (Form 7CR) - Application for Federal Firearm License (FFL) Collector of Curios and Relics

ATF form 5330.20- Certification of Compliance

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once you have those printed out, we will start first on ATF Form 5310.16 (Form 7CR) - Application for Federal Firearm License (FFL) Collector of Curios and Relics

5310.16 (Form 7CR)

This form is really straight forward. Depending on how your computer is set up you may be able to enter the information into the fields before printing it. This is what I did and it was VERY easy. I just filled out the shaded areas and I was done. This form is pretty self explanatory. You put your name, address, etc. Half way down the page you will come to payment information. I just put my credit card information here and that covered the $30.00 fee for the first three years. You can also pay by check or money order and if you go that route you would leave this part blank. Paying by credit card was so easy though, I just went that route.

When you get down to box 9 you will need to enter information for every person who will be involved in your C&R license. Each person listed will need a certification of compliance and I really couldn't see any reason to add my wife to the license so I just put my information again. I left all the other boxes blank.

Next you will go through a series of questions that are much like the questions you answer on a 4473. I am sure we all know what to do here.

When you get down to box 14 this is the CLEO certification section. You don't need to get a CLEO sign off like you do with NFA stuff, you just need to notify the CLEO in your area that you are applying for an 03 FFL. Put your CLEO information in this section and continue down the page.

Box 15 is for you to sign and date the application. For title put "Collector".

The rest of the form is actually the instructions on how to fill out the form. After the instructions will actually be the same form in duplicate with the payment section blocked off. This is the form you fill out and send to the CLEO in your area.

You are done with form 5310.16

Form 5330.20- Certification of Compliance

This form is actually really stupid. You are certifying that you are not an illegal alien. The stupid part is you are actually certifying yourself. Yes you read that correctly, put your information in both box 1 and box 2. Fill out the rest of the form, besides certifying yourself the rest is very self explanatory.

You are done with form 5330.20

You are done with the required forms. Verify that everything is correct and that you have a 5330.20 for each person you listed on your 5310.16. Stick the ATF copy of the application and all certifications of compliance in one envelope for the ATF and stick the CLEO copy of the application in another envelope for the CLEO in your area.

Mail the ATF copies (with payment if paying by check/money order) to:

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

PO Box 409567
Atlanta, Georgia
30384-8567
USA

Mail the CLEO copies to the CLEO in your area.
This could be the Chief of Police, Sheriff, District Attorney etc.
I included a cover letter with the application like this.
Dear Chief/Sheriff X,

Enclosed please find, as per federal regulation, a copy of my ATF Form 7CR. You are not required to take any action with respect to the enclosed form. If I can be of any service, or if there are any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at the address above. Please be advised this is not a license to do business, but only a license to collect.

Respectfully,

Soon2B C&R Guy

And WAIT. It took my FFL just under 30 days from the day I mailed the application to the day my FFL arrived in the mail.

It really is very easy.

Last edited:
I am thinking of getting a C&R license. Thanks for summarizing the application process.

I have two questions:

1. For how long do you have to maintain your C&R logbook and

2. Does the logbook have to be in hard/paper copy.

Thanks

I am thinking of getting a C&R license. Thanks for summarizing the application process.

I have two questions:

1. For how long do you have to maintain your C&R logbook
You must maintain the log book for as long as you have the license. If you let your license expire you can destroy the log book immediately if you wish.

2. Does the logbook have to be in hard/paper copy.

Thanks

My understanding is that is must be kept in paper format UNLESS you have written permission from the ATF to do otherwise. Basically you would have to write the ATF and ask for permission. The idea is in paper format it could easily be carried to the local field office if they wanted to do an audit.

Great thread. Just being able to order a P38 and have it shipped to the house might be worth the price of admission on it's own.

Great thread. Just being able to order a P38 and have it shipped to the house might be worth the price of admission on it's own.

Probably not.

The price that most dealers charge for shipping a handgun to an '03 FFL is ridiculous. I was quoted over $100 when looking to ship a 1930's era Ballister-Molina (1911-type pistol). This is pretty common, since they will all use next-day shipping from what I've found.

To be honest, it's easier and cheaper just to find an FFL that will do free or low cost transfers and do it that way.

For long guns it's a different story. Shipping is usually pretty reasonable, since it's typically through USPS.

Maybe back in the day, when transferring firearms between dealers was a rarity, this actually made sense. In a more repressive state, CA or NY for example, having a federal 'Collectors License' might hold some sway over local officials as well. But to my mind, in GA today,it just isn't worth the price of admission.

Back
Top Bottom