• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

How much under gassing can be corrected

BigMike

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
232   0
Reaction score
On a AR platform, I'm getting brass dribbling out of th ejection port and failure to pickup another round. I'm shooting 8.2 inch 300 blackout subsonic suppressed and the barrel manufacturer is saying my vltor recoil system is the blame. A5H1 buffer and green spring. Before I go running out buying parts, can that weak of an ejection be corrected by a standard system and H buffer?

Note, supersonic ammo suppressed has perfect 4 o'clock ejection and rockets across the room like an AK.

Have you tried the suppressed ammo minus the can and see what you get cycling wise? As stated above, buffer is big if you do not have an adjustable gas valve to futz with.......

Have you tried the suppressed ammo minus the can and see what you get cycling wise? As stated above, buffer is big if you do not have an adjustable gas valve to futz with.......
There's no need to. If it won't cycle subsonic ammo with the can, it damn sure won't do it without it.

On a AR platform, I'm getting brass dribbling out of th ejection port and failure to pickup another round. I'm shooting 8.2 inch 300 blackout subsonic suppressed and the barrel manufacturer is saying my vltor recoil system is the blame. A5H1 buffer and green spring. Before I go running out buying parts, can that weak of an ejection be corrected by a standard system and H buffer?

Note, supersonic ammo suppressed has perfect 4 o'clock ejection and rockets across the room like an AK.
Have you thought about drilling out that gas port?

I have a dremel so I'm basically a gunsmith.

Have you thought about drilling out that gas port?

I have a dremel so I'm basically a gunsmith.
I have. I'm in touch with the barrel manufacturer trying to pry their gas port spec from them. I "think" it's supposed to be .105". They won't disclose what theirs is/is spoosed to be. If I drill it I'll loose my warranty.

I have. I'm in touch with the barrel manufacturer trying to pry their gas port spec from them. I "think" it's supposed to be .105". They won't disclose what theirs is/is spoosed to be. If I drill it I'll loose my warranty.
Is it a real expensive barrel? Start putting drill bits in there and see what fits. Then go bigger. It's gotta work!

Your buffer and spring combo is heavy for .300 subs. A Vltor A5H1 is 4.56oz, which is about equal to a standard H2.

A carbine buffer is 2.9oz, by comparison.

I’d ditch the Vltor for this application, and start with a standard carbine spring and buffer.

Unlike opening your gas port, this is not a permanent mod.

Back
Top Bottom