• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How long have you got to drive a truck to charge the battery fully?

Bypass

Army Icon Lifetime Supporter
One nation under GOD Father of Jesus my Savior.
146   0
Reaction score
I got a 2022 Ford F 150 and I drive it about 1500 miles a year. Today it warned me of low battery but I never drive anywhere to charge it sadly. Thinking about taking it out for a nice long drive. About how far would I have to go to get a full charge?

Or should I hook up a charger to it and charge the battery? I'm worried about damaging the electronics in doing that.

I have only seen one Ford with a voltage drain and it had been wrecked a few times. I have to drive my vehicles just to exercise them since I retired myself. I haven't been driving any more than you. I'll take mine out on the Hwy and put @ 25mi a week on them. That seems to satisfy them. Maybe every once in a great while I'll put the charger on to top them off. My experience is that Ford and Dodge can sit for months at a time without any real trouble. GMs have to be driven at least once every week and a half or they won't start after a vehicle has some age on it. You can also check the battery with a volt meter. It'll give you voltage, but it won't tell you the torque of the battery. In other words, it can measure full voltage but still not be able to start the motor. If your vehicle is parked outside you best drive it once a week to keep varmints from eating your wiring. I learned the hard way on one. Cost me $3k to fix it. That's why I drive them once a week. Keeps the varmints out, keeps seals lubricated and battery charged. Plus this crap for gas they sell won't stay stable like the old gas would. It collects condensation.

It will depend on a few things:
- how dead/low your battery is
- how much amp load your truck has (night has more)
- how big your alternator is
- how good your electrical connections are

I'd start by cleaning the battery case, terminals, and cabling to remove any dirt, corrosion and muck. That can all conduct voltage and provide current drain to ground.

To test this, put a meter probe on the positive terminal post and then the other probe on the dirt on the plastic body of the battery somewhere. If you get a voltage reading, you're getting drain current.

My preference, I'd trickle charge the battery overnight as a slow charge is healthier for the battery. Lastly, I'd run a solar trickle if you store the truck where there's any decent light.

All that said, a 30 minute drive will probably get it back up to a decent charge. Just wouldn't be my preference. The cleaning can help a lot.

With all the things that draw on a battery now days with newer vehicles, it will drain the battery, with everyone that said a battery tender is what I use on my mower and tractor works good. If it drains down it will kick on and charge it slowly.

Back
Top Bottom