• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

How long do you keep your vehicle?

How long do you keep it?

• Total voters
I think the best I've ever seen was
In '88 or so my brother bought a 76 celica with 110k on the clock
For $1200 from a game warden in Fort Gaines

At 250 the 20R engine blew and he bought a used one from a wrecked yota in a junkyard in Lumpkin for $500

At 375k that one blew and he bought a 22r from a pickup in Carrollton for $800

At 499k I as driving it and got rear ended
Guys insurance paid $1600 and let him keep the car with a clear title

He drove it another year or so and stripped the ring gear in the axle
And had it towed to his house on Atlanta rd in Smyrna

Someone saw it sitting there are offered him $600 for it so he sold it
It still ran great and the AC still worked

Buy them used, take care of them and drive them till the end and then sell them, usually to a salvage yard. Currently, have a 2002 Mountaineer with 165000 miles, bought in 2011; a 2002 F150 with 275000 miles, bought in 2012; and just recently bought a 2007 Focus with 110000 miles.

While all are running good, I do have AAA, just in case one of them needs a tow. :doh:

Bumper to bumper lifetime factory warranty? I've never heard of such.

Unlimited mileage I assume?

Yep, and for as long as it's titled in my name (even if I die). Chrysler warranty service contacted me and offered to extend my factory warranty with several different options including lifetime, and 24 mo. financing with no interest with 10% down. The price wasn't bad (less than one new transmission) so I took them up on it. 24 months later, it was bought and paid for. Covers everything except normal wear items. All electrics, electronics and mechanics are covered. $100 deductible.

Last edited:
Usually drive the wheels off. Like several here I've fixed almost anything until it wasn't worth fixing. Never cared too much what they look like if it's dependable.
Current driver is 2000 ZZ1 4x4 .Very ugly but if I want to go 2 miles or 200+ I do.
Has over 270k miles. Doesn't use hardly any oil between 3,000 mile services and still gets the best gas mileage out of 3 different 4x4's that I've owned.
In the late 70's early 80's I bought 2 new Chevy 4x4's , both for work but that's
expensive transpo. I loved the old stuff before computers more.
Daddy helped me (by letting me do it but answering questions) build my 1st engine
in 1973. I had already helped him for years do brakes,exhaust and such. I've always been an amatuer; he was a MASTER of mechanical things. Now I am lucky and have a SIL who is hard working master who helps me!
I've bought,lived in for years and sold houses for less than what a new pickup cost.
I know I'm a dinosaur but I still think it's nuts.

Okay I just checked and the upcoming Sept 19th auction has 3 white Crown Vics that were 08 and I think 06. There was also one 07 Charger. But the down side to buying the Charger is that I believe Macon bought the base Chargers with the 3.7 V6 engines. Nothing wrong with the 3.7 at all but it ain't exactly a persuit car.

I've heard from more than one source that the police Chargers are not nearly as tough and trouble free as the Crown Vics and Tahoes. I wouldn't chance buying one.

I've heard from more than one source that the police Chargers are not nearly as tough and trouble free as the Crown Vics and Tahoes. I wouldn't chance buying one.
Yeah I wouldn't want one either. But then I don't like any of them ghetto looking Mopar boxes except maybe the Magnum . And that's only because I dig wagons.
But most of the cops I've asked told me that the Chargers ain't all that. And compared to the Crown Vics they're crowded inside once they add all the gear.

Current truck is 11 years old. Wife's SUV was 10 years old with 240K plus when we got rid of it. Pay them off and drive them until it's not economical to repair them anymore.

Back
Top Bottom