• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Home distillery

Sagan

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
38   0
Reaction score
Not trying to be cheap, just curious. Has anyone produced their own whiskey? Is it even legal? I know you can brew so much beer and wine per year for personal consumption, but not sure about harder spirits. If its legal, I'm thinking about trying it. If anyone has any good references for this, please share. Or, of anyone knows that it is illegal, please speak up as well. Thanks, Sagan.

Spirits
You cannot produce spirits for beverage purposes without paying taxes and without prior approval of paperwork to operate a distilled spirits plant. [See 26 U.S.C. 5601 & 5602 for some of the criminal penalties.] There are numerous requirements that must be met that make it impractical to produce spirits for personal or beverage use. Some of these requirements are paying special tax, filing an extensive application, filing a bond, providing adequate equipment to measure spirits, providing suitable tanks and pipelines, providing a separate building (other than a dwelling) and maintaining detailed records, and filing reports. All of these requirements are listed in 27 CFR Part 19.

You could just move to Kentucky or W Virginia and join in with the rural crowd.
Buy a fast car before you head there though...

attachment.php

You can always make wine. Was going through on a wine tour once and asked about the locals take on a winery. I was told that many locals had taken to making their own wine......seems the winery would analyse it for them as to alcohol content. Some were getting 50 proof and better in the home grown wine!

If you take a batch of homemade wine and place it in plastic bottles. Do a partial freeze of the bottle just as it starts to slush. and drain out any liquid that is left it is the alcohol . The water will freeze out first . can do this in several steps and it is stronger as you do it . Guy i work with gets it down to some pretty strong stuff by this method

Back
Top Bottom