• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Home Brew AR Lube & AR Lubrication

I use Mobil 28 mil spec grease to lube NiB BCGs. Just enough to slick up the bearing surfaces and trigger. Barrel nut calls for a different but I use the same stuff. Just enough lube for a proper torque value. I like the Lucas stuff for phosphate parts. A 20w-50 oil would stick nicely to parts and provide ample lube for warmer environments but in cold weather it could slow the action down severely. I am talking Alaska temps. There could be additives that could possibly harm the finish but I am not sure of that. Just a thought. Of course all this is just an alternative if actual gun oil is not available. Specific lubes should always be used ideally.

That’s what I’ve been doing for decades, pretty much. Google “Ed’s Red” and you’ll see a recipe that’s older than most of the members here.

I mix up Ed’s Red, then mix it with the Mobil 1 synthetic grease until I get a consistency similar to mayonnaise.

For both the oil and the grease, I have not found a firearms lubricant that works better. I’ve used them for everything from squeaky garage door tracks, to revolvers, to belt-fed MG’s.

Ed’s Red:

2 quarts synthetic motor oil (10W30, I usually use Mobil 1)

1 quart synthetic automatic transmission fluid. Brand and spec don't matter.

1 bottle of original STP Oil Treatment. The blue bottle.

1 7oz jar of Hoppe's #9

That’s what I’ve been doing for decades, pretty much. Google “Ed’s Red” and you’ll see a recipe that’s older than most of the members here.

I mix up Ed’s Red, then mix it with the Mobil 1 synthetic grease until I get a consistency similar to mayonnaise.

For both the oil and the grease, I have not found a firearms lubricant that works better. I’ve used them for everything from squeaky garage door tracks, to revolvers, to belt-fed MG’s.

Ed’s Red:

1 7oz jar of Hoppe's #9
Isn't that the stuff that you like to eat? :boink:

Ed’s Red:

1 7oz jar of Hoppe's #9
With the grease and STP engine treatment I can't see it running of parts like Hoppe's does. Sound concrete to me. It's obviously not hard on the finish.

Back
Top Bottom